Jump start your college education, and save money in the process

The Early College Program, or Bridges, at Nashua Community College might be the right alternative for students who want to get a head start in their post-high school education.

Senior Abigail Dolan currently attends Nashua Community College, or NCC, full time.

“Even though I don’t take any classes at the high school,” Dolan said, “I’m still graduating in 2017 while I’m going for my degree in nursing.”

Dolan’s credits are dual-credits, which means they fulfill both her high school requirements as well as going toward her associate’s degree.

NCC provides both online and on-campus options for high school students to earn credits they can use for high school requirements, college credits, or both through the dual-credit option.

Unlike Dolan, senior Kaylie Milligan is in the Early College Program taking online classes as well as classes in the high school.

Milligan enrolled herself online and then proceeded to meet up and talk with Mrs. O’Dea. She is taking three online classes as well as three classes in the high school. Milligan finds online classes to be more convenient than on-campus classes at NCC.

“You can make your own schedule with online classes,” Milligan said.

She started classes this fall to earn her associates degree in business, and when she’s finished she wants to go to Southern New Hampshire University to get her bachelor’s.

Students who are interested in enrolling in the on-campus program should contact Guidance Director Mrs. O’Dea, who will then connect you with Susan Smith, enrollment specialist at NCC.  Smith can then help you get started by talking with you about your class options.

“This program provides great educational benefits for high school students, giving them advantages in their post-high school education,” Smith said. “You save so much money as well as time.”

NCC’s in-state tuition rate is only $250 per course in this program while NCC classes not taken through this program end up being $650-$950, depending on your major.

The cost for these courses do add up, but your total tuition payment is still only a fraction of the price of attending a four-year university. This program not only helps students save hundreds of dollars on each class, but thousands each semester, which could cut years off your student debt.

After signing up, the next step is to make your own schedule and take classes where you think you could benefit from most, whether it is to get your core college classes or start your degree. If you can’t commute to NCC, then Manchester Community College (MCC) provides this program for students as well.

“I feel like this program is such a great option for some kids and should be introduced to them,” Dolan said. “I can get a head start with my degree and save thousands.”