Wear red tomorrow to support “Day without Women”

Almost two months after I marched in the Women’s March on Washington, I will be again showing my support for women, minorities, and underrepresented people of this country by wearing red tomorrow, Wednesday March 8.

The organizers of the Women’s March have organized a “Day Without Women” strike to again show that we will not be quiet when our freedoms are threatened. The strike date was chosen because March 8 is International Women’s Day. To participate in the strike, women are asked not to do paid or unpaid work or spend their money at businesses not owned by women. To show support for the strike, people of all genders are asked to wear red.

I will be among those clad in red tomorrow. I thought long and hard about not attending school tomorrow to participate fully in the strike. There are some school districts in the country that are shutting down completely because the majority of their employees are women participating. In the end, I decided I could not afford to miss school, but I would wear red to support those who are.

Red, the color chosen to represent the strike, was picked because of its history being associated with the labor movement, and because it signifies love, revolution, sacrifice, energy, pioneering spirit, leadership, and determination. Pink hats were worn during the marches around the world on January 21, and they became a symbol of the March. The March organizers hope that red will become a symbol of the continued spirit of resistance.

I am wearing red tomorrow for the same reasons I marched two months ago:

I think this country is already great.

I think we need to focus less on persecuting and oppressing certain groups of people and focus more on protecting everyone’s rights.

We need to stop looking for a scapegoat to blame the country’s problems on and start actually fixing them.

A wall and an executive order travel ban are not the way to do this.

Crossing party lines and standing up for what is right no matter who proposed it are the only ways we will improve the quality of life for every American, no matter their gender, sexual identity, race, or status. The March and the subsequent protests have always been about more than just women’s rights.

This is because women’s rights are immigrants rights are economic rights are equal rights.

Tomorrow will be no different.

Anyone can wear red. Anyone can withhold for spending money at businesses that support things they don’t believe in. Really, anyone can strike tomorrow, man or woman, or anyone who identifies differently.

If you want to use it as an excuse not to go to school tomorrow, be my guest. But tomorrow is about a lot more than just staying home. It is about the message that we can all help change our county.

Even if you support President Trump and his politics, you can support the strike. Support it to show that you support women, equality, and the power of the people.

If you decide like me that you can’t miss school tomorrow, you can still wear red to show your support.