Vote to expand the Rail Trail

Why Londonderry residents should say yes to Article 26

Needed extensions to the rail trail are up for vote this Tuesday, and the people of Londonderry should vote yes.

Article #26 pertains to expanding the Londonderry Rail Trail, 3.2 miles of a paved trail, used for jogging, rollerblading, and biking; it’s a beautiful area located near North Elementary School. Londonderry will eventually be a part of the Granite State Rail Trail along with Derry, Manchester, Windham and Salem.

The Londonderry Rail Trail started in 2003, when the NHDOT and Southern NH Planning Commission supported converting the abandoned rail corridor into a paved Rail Trail.

In 2013, Phase 1, which was funding the first Londonderry Mile of the Rail Trail, was completed by Warrent Article vote. Then, in 2014, Phase 2 added .7 miles and was accomplished by donations from local individuals and businesses, bringing the total length to 1.7 miles. In 2016, with a generous $100,000 donation from the Londonderry Trailways Committee and $300,000 donation from Kinder Morgan, Phase 3 was completed, adding 1.4 miles to the trail and bringing it to the current length of 3.2 miles.  

Currently, it is funded by donations both individual and corporate, federal and state grants, and, possibly this year, by taxpayer vote.

It will cost $144,000 and will have $75,000 matching grant from the Samuel P Hunt Foundation, which covers 35% of Phase 4. If passed, .25 miles will be added to the trail, expanding it to Little Coshas Marsh, the “most beautiful place in Londonderry no one’s been to.”

Also, a pedestrian-activated signal crossing light will be installed at Route 28 and Sanborn Road, which will be an asset for North School families.

Everyone that is 18 or over can vote on this article, and every single vote makes a difference to  the supporters of the Rail Trail. It provides a beautiful, scenic route for families to see how wonderful Londonderry is. Not only that, but it will eventually connect with other Rail Trails from other towns, making a large trail that can be hiked to see the beauty of our wonderful state.

At the polls, you can register to vote if you haven’t already, and remember that one vote can make a difference.
Click here to see what is on the Town Warrent along with the Rail Trail before you vote.