Library Media Month in April showcases library resources

Library+Media+Specialists+Mrs.+Payeur%2C+Mrs.+Desjadon+and+Ms.+Campos+encourage+students+and+teachers+to+visit+the+Library+Media+Center+to+see+all+it+has+to+offer.+
Photo by Nina Touch
Library Media Specialists Mrs. Payeur, Mrs. Desjadon and Ms. Campos encourage students and teachers to visit the Library Media Center to see all it has to offer.

April marks the beginning of Library Media Month, a time when schools celebrate their libraries and the resources they offer.

While all the Library Media Specialists and library assistants help promote Library Media Month at LHS, it is library assistant Mrs. Sussman who creates the questions and activities and implements it all.

“This is something the school looks forward to all year,” library assistant Sussman said. “The students love to participate in all the activities, and even the staff likes to get involved.”

Library Media Month is so much more than just something students can do for fun.What the students don’t realize is that by participating in the events the library has to offer, they are also learning more about their library.

“Library Media Month  helps students meet the librarians,” Sussman said. “Students also get a chance to get familiar with all the technology the library has to offer because they are allowed to use the internet to help them with the library media month activities.”

This year’s activities include daily trivia, count the candies contests, and an I Spy contest. All week the trivia questions will be displayed in the cafeteria, library, main lobby, and will be announced on the announcements.

Students can even access the questions on their phone using the QR code located outside the library.  The I Spy contest and count-the-candies can be found in the library.

“[Library Media Month] gives students the opportunity to see what the library is all about and show that it’s a friendly place to come,” Sussman said.

Photo by Nina Touch
Mrs. Lawson’s 10th grade biology class visits the Library Media Center to utilize its resources. Sophomores Jillian Fitzgibbons, Anna Hutchinson, Austin Smith and Sammi Miller use the computers to complete an assignment.