Don’t get towed—Be legit. Here’s how to get a parking permit.

With the end of the school year approaching, it’s time to get your parking pass application.

Not having a parking pass means having to park at the recs and make the walk each day–even in the freezing winter mornings.  The information below is what you need to know in order to get a parking pass and avoid the walk that is way too long for 7 o’clock in the morning.

Where can I get an application?

Get a parking pass application by either clicking here or picking one up from House 1.

What are the requirements for getting a parking pass?

The parking pass system is a point-based system that rewards students for being active and involved in the school. The more you do, the more points you’ll have when it comes time to fill out the form.

The parking pass point system changes a little bit every year according to Mrs. Sloper. Each new school year the administrative team sits down and reviews the system together.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the goal to motivate students to get involved in all the different clubs, activities and sports the school has to offer.

However, being involved in one of the sports teams does earn you more points than being involved in a club. The reason for this is because these athletes are here every day after school lifting, training and practicing while most other after-school clubs and activities only take place once or twice a week. Therefore, sports teams will earn you two points, and clubs and activities earn you only one.  

The point system also rewards students for their academic achievements. If you do well in school, this will add to your points when you apply.

Since the whole point of the system is to encourage students to get more involved in the school, unfortunately after school jobs do not count.  So try to get involved in some of the many things the school has to offer if you want to get that pass.

What is the deadline for turning in the application?

June 16.

The earlier you submit your parking pass application, the better your chances are of getting one.  According to Sloper, since​ it is a point-based process, if students have the same number of points as other students, then they will “sub-sort” the applications based on the date of return.    

Students who turn in their application after June 16 will automatically get on a waiting list.

How much is a parking pass?  

Without a doubt, the best thing about the parking pass is that you don’t have to pay for it. If you receive a parking pass, it is completely free and will not cost you a single penny. Most schools require you to pay to obtain a parking pass. At Pinkerton Academy, you must pay $65 if you want a parking pass while at LHS, qualified students are rewarded with a free parking pass.

What determines which lot a student will be given?

Overall, the number of points that you have upon turning in your parking pass request form are what determines which lot you are given.

According to Mrs. Sloper, the point range for main lot and plateau changes a little bit each year depending on the number of points that people have. The more points you have the better chance you have of getting a parking pass in the main lot.

While teachers do park in both plateau and main, which takes away spots for students, there are still plenty of spaces available for students. Each lot holds 200 spaces, so students who apply for a pass have a good chance of getting one, even if they may not have the most points or be the most involved.

If you are interested in applying for a parking pass, be sure to stop by House 1 and grab one at any time.