Seeing behind the walls of the Library Media Center

Photo by Delaney Root
Freshman Gabrielle Page uses one of the library’s computers to research information for her Renaissance project. The library has several computers that are available for students to use during all periods of the day.

It may seem like just a room filled with books and computers, but the Library Media Center has so much more to offer.

“The school library is great,” freshman Gabrielle Page said. “We have so much time during lunch, and I love going during that time to catch up on my work.”

Page loves using the different resources at the library, including the laptops that people can check out if the computers are full. She often looks at books there too.

“I’ve always been a big reader,” Page said. “The library has so many books, and I’ve found a few that are now some of my favorite stories ever.”

Page also loves the calm atmosphere and the great working environment of the library.

“People aren’t there to goof around and talk with their friends,” Page said. “Everyone is actually being productive and getting their work done.”

Page often gets help from the Library Media Specialists (LMS) as well, one of them being Mrs. Desjadon.

Desjadon taught English for 13 years before she came to LHS three years ago.

“[After teaching,] I realized I actually wanted to do technology integration a lot more than being a librarian, and they’re two slightly different titles,” Desjadon said. “Here at the library, I would say that I do a mix of both.”

Desjadon said her passion for reading and researching have “somehow morphed into becoming a librarian,” which, to her, is a job with many opportunities.    

“There’s a great variety of classes and students that I get to see,” Desjadon said. “I get to work with so many different types of curriculum.”

For Desjadon, everyday is a little different because she said people use the library for a variety of reasons.

“We have one student who comes in and reads one manga book a day,” Desjadon said. “Or we have students who come in to use Geometer’s Sketchpad, which is a program we have here.”

Additionally, the library offers monthly displays that recommend different types of books. For November, the theme is cookbooks.

“All our foodies are going to love it, and since the holidays are coming up, there are great ideas for gifts and holiday recipes,” Desjadon said.

Desjadon also said that there are many events that have been held in the library. For example, Mrs. Simpson’s forensic science class recently did a Distance Learning Lab, where they watched a human body being dissected.

“They learned tremendous things,” Desjadon said.

The library also has great video editing software programs such as Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.

“These are amazing video editing resources for kids who are really into it,” Desjadon said.

Desjadon says that if you’re curious about anything, always ask the librarians about it.

“The librarians are so helpful,” Page said. “And there’s pretty much something for everyone to do, no matter what they’re interested in.”