Chris Gozza predicts the NBA Finals

Photo by Steven Vannoy
President Obama with the Golden State Warriors at the White House after winning the title.

Well it’s that time of year again.

The time of year where all the NBA fans crawl out of their slumbers and are glued to the television to watch the inevitable happen year after year in the NBA Playoffs. For the past three years, The Finals has been the same matchup, and it’ll be no different this year: The Golden State Warriors Vs The Cleveland Cavaliers.

Although the first and second rounds are done, there is still some fans holding onto their last little bit of hope that their team can pull off the upset win and win the Finals. For the first year in about three years it’s not as clear cut as everyone thinks it is. Although I still believe it will be the same matchup we’ve seen the last three years, and will keep seeing as long as LeBron keeps winning the fight against father time.

Photo by Getty Images
LeBron James celebrates winning the Men’s Basketball gold medal game between the United States and Spain

Starting in the Eastern Conference with a disappointing regular season from the “Cleveland LeBrons,” and a game 7 finish in round one, they came out and destroyed the Toronto “can’t- make-it-out-of-the-weak-East” Raptors 4 to 1. Then we get to the team everyone and their grandmothers counted out once they lost both of their all star players: The Boston Celtics.

The Celtics won a clutch game 7 and jumped out to a 3-1 lead against the Philadelphia 76ers who were heavy favorites to win. Celtics closed it out in 5 winning the series 4 to 1. That being said I predict LeBron will carry the Cavaliers to a win in round three, which he has done his whole career, over the Celtics 4 to 2.

Finally, we get to the good conference with actual competition: The Western Conference. Dominated by two teams who will see each other in conference finals this year, like last year, we have the Houston Rockets and the Golden State “if-we-were-not-a-superteam-we’d-have-no-fan-base” Warriors. Starting in Golden State where all of their fan base are bandwagon fans, they had the second seed in the West and made light work of every team they faced in the playoffs. With two of the top 10 players in the NBA it’s kinda hard to think they won’t beat the Rockets, who have the 1st seed 4 to 1 in the series.

If all goes as planned and we get another Golden State Vs LeBron matchup in the finals, it’s obvious who’s going to win. The same people who had to add Kevin Durant, who joined the team to win another championship: The Golden State “we-ruined-basketball-because-we-win-finals-every-year” Warriors.

If I hear one single person tell me “LeBron won once against them he can do it again,” sorry to burst your bubble but a lot of people believe that the 2016 Finals were rigged due to the Warriors having won 73 games in the regular season and blowing a 3-1 after just coming back from down 3-1 to win the Western Conference Finals. Also, I find it kind of fishy how Draymond Green, one of their key players, was pulled from game 5 by refs, and in game 6 the arguably best PG in the league got fouled out and got ejected for the first time of his career in the playoffs. The reason he got ejected was for throwing his mouthpiece in anger after getting fouled out on some questionable calls. Game 7s make the NBA more money and it’s a bit weird how those rare occurrences happened in game 5 and 6 to force a game 7.

Anyway, this year we all know it will be a Warriors win 4 to 1.

But if somehow the NBA rigs the finals again for LeBron to win, we will all just spend another summer pointlessly debating if LeBron is the GOAT or if Jordan is the GOAT, a debate no one will win due to both sides not listening to each other or even considering the other side’s points.

So please, Golden State, win so we basketball fans don’t have to suffer with this debate.

Wait, if you win we have to listen to all the Warrior bandwagon fans brag about how they’re the B-TOAT (Best Team of All Time), so no matter what happens, it’s going to be annoying.

Unless, of course, my predictions are wrong and the underdog Celtics win it all.