Lancer Baseball rides a hot streak into the playoffs

Photo by Mr. Peabody
Senior captain Andy Ross takes a healthy cut at the plate.

Lancer baseball has enjoyed much success these past few years and this year looks to be no different.

“I think that the past couple years some teams have been looking past us, but this team doesn’t give in and will fight for every run,” Ross said.

This is one of the most senior-heavy teams they have had in awhile. With 11 seniors  including captains, Nate Sullivan, Andrew Ross, Anthony Pirolli, and Ricky Perry, this team is full of experience and leadership.

“Most of us have been playing together since double A,” Ross said. “We all know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, which is great because we all try to help each other. All of us respect each other as a person and as a player.”

The last couple years the team has been hovering around .500 and losing in the first round of the playoffs. However this year’s team is looking to break that streak.

“I just think that we are all tired of losing,” Ross said. “Not winning a playoff game has motivated us to practice hard, play harder, and work as a team.”

One player who has been crucial in their playoff push has been senior pitcher Anthony Pirolli.

“Pirolli gives us quality starts every time he goes out there,” Ross said. “He gives us a chance to win games and that’s all we can ask for.”

While usually it is Pinkerton that is Londonderry’s rival, the team has a different pick for this year.

“I can’t wait to play Bedford because last time we played them we lost 6-3, but that was the closet game that they had played all year,” Ross said. “Also, we’ve never beaten them in my four years here, so it would be great to upset them our last meeting.”

Senior third baseman Shane McNamara believes this team has “something different from past teams.”

“We all know each others tendencies. I don’t think that past teams were as close as we are,” McNamara said.

While McNamara did injure his hip in the first game of the season, he is back and ready to help the Lancers make a jump going into the postseason.

“My hip feels great,” McNamara said. “I’ve been itching to get back on the field.”

With only two games left on the schedule and the Lancers on a 5-game win streak, they are looking to end the season on a good note.

“After starting the season off 3-7, we have been able to turn it around,” McNamara said. “I think that we have been playing a lot more like a team. Early in the season we made a lot of mental mistakes. We had too many errors and that’s what I think killed us.”