Mack Plaque: It ain’t over ’til the fat lady sings

Lancer Nation has to keep their hopes up until every team has faced Pinkerton

Because David beats Goliath.

Because the little engine could.

Because the tortoise beats the hare.

And so, too, Londonderry will win Mack Plaque.

I suppose it’s hard to stay motivated after 14 years of losses against a school three times as large. But, somehow, we do keep up hope.

With the current tally being 4-2 Astros, we haven’t yet lost Mack Plaque this year. And while hope does seem dim, there is a chance.

The Lancers see Mack Plaque as a challenge because we are the underdog. We are David, the engine, the tortoise. Red, white, and blue have heart, something the Pink can never appreciate. Pinkerton takes their wins for granted, something Lancer Nation will never do. Lancer Nation will push through to the end of the game.

As a matter of fact, the Lancers won both their games in overtime, showing that even if Pinkerton gives up, Lancer Nation stays strong. That determination will be the Astros downfall in the end.

I don’t know if we’re going to win Mack Plaque this year. And I can’t comment on the statistical probability that we make three come-from-behind wins in boys and girls cross-country and cheerleading. (Especially considering the athletes in those sports are under extra pressure from having their competitions delayed.)

Maybe their fans will push them to victory. But only if fans show up.

However, what I think about all this doesn’t really matter. What does matter is what Lancer Nation believes. All we have left is the belief that we are going to win. And someday, we will have our moment of glory.

If it’s not this year, well, there’s always next year.