The underdogs finally fall: Boys’ Basketball loses in the semi-final round

Photo courtesy of Max DesRosiers
DesRosiers (55) holds his form after making one of his four three-pointers on the day

Londonderry’s incredible run this season has come to an end. The team traveled to UNH, with their loyal fans behind them to take on the undefeated Exeter Blue Hawks.

In the previous matchup between these teams, Exeter came out on top, but they did not have an easy time doing it and this game was no different.

Londonderry was hanging with Exeter for most of the first half. In the first quarter, both teams continued to swap lead changes until Exeter found their rhythm late in the second quarter. Exeter had built up a 7 point lead for themselves when a miscommunication between two players on Londonderry caused a turnover. With minimal time left on the clock, their point guard nailed a three to put them up by 10.

When the second half got under way, Londonderry didn’t come out as they would have liked. They gave up 6 quick points before finally getting themselves together. Max DesRosiers became the focal point of Londonderry’s offense when they continued to push the pace, totaling a season-high 18 points.

“All it was was me and the back of the rim,” DesRosiers said. “My confidence was 100 percent right as I stepped in the building.”

This 6 foot 5 inch senior center played outstanding throughout the entire game. He converted on all four of his three-point attempts which contributed to the big 15-2 run that Londonderry went on to retake the lead.

The Blue Hawks did not panic after falling behind and finished out the game with a big run of their own to close it out and send Londonderry home with a 62-51 loss.

Londonderry’s season was one of the great underdog stories all year. They were overlooked from the outset, but that just fueled their fires to show everyone else what they were really made of. Londonderry went home without the chance to play for the championship, but they can leave with their heads held high knowing that they proved all of their doubters wrong every step of the way.