Spring Preview: Boys’ Lacrosse

Photo by Kim Smith
Fougere races from the defender as he cradles the ball up the field.

The boys’ lacrosse season is just about to get under way. Expectations are high due to the amount of experience on this year’s team. The Lancers have 14 seniors rostered, which leads many around the team to believe that they will be tops in division one.

A few of the notable seniors on this year’s squad include starting midfielder Blake Melnik, and the captains, attacker Anthony Federico, long stick midfielder Thomas Fougere, defender Mason Marquis, and goaltender Ross Carroll.

“Our seniors all provide leadership, no matter how much everyone plays we lead by example,” Melnik said. “We all have to come together for one last dance and make the most out of the season.”

The Lancers are in a good position moving forward, even with the departures of seniors and previous key contributors. The seniors are backed by a strong group of underclassmen.

“We have players that were developing through the past few seasons, but they seem to finally be ready to take on bigger roles on the team,” Fougere said.

Londonderry’s schedule is jam packed with tough matchups, but the team is optimistic that they can accomplish all of their goals.

“I expect our team to return to the playoffs again,” Melnik said. “Overall, we should have a solid season with the team that we are putting on the field. I’m excited to see what’s in store for us.”

Photo by Kim Smith
Federico winds up as he surveys his options on offense.

This season is going to come down to how well everyone meshes together. Problems off the field have previously caused issues, so the hope is this year will be a different story.

“This team is much different than last year’s,” Melnik said “We broke our focus too frequently, but this year, we are going to stay dialed in all the way through.”