Girl’s volleyball takes the win during Mack Plaque game after 10 year drought

Photo courtesy of: Jordan Galluzzo
“COVID-19 or no COVID-19, I could not have asked for a better senior night. It took us a set to shake off some nerves, but the next 3 we did a great job of staying positive, trusting ourselves and each other, and really just dominating every rally we could. We never let them get more than a point or two at a time, and that was definitely the game changer for us. Our original schedule had us up against a different team on what would’ve been senior night, but I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our 4 years of hard work and dedication to the sport than finally beating PA. I think the last time Londonderry volleyball won their Mack Plaque game was in 2010, so it felt absolutely incredible to take back that title for the Lancers,” Galluzzo said.

After 10 years of defeat Girls volleyball beat Pinkerton 3-1 during the intense Mack Plaque game that took place Monday, Sept 21.

Senior Sarah Joe served the winning point leading to Londonderry’s first Mack Plaque volleyball win since 2010.

“Londonderry hasn’t beat PA in 10 years and it being my senior year was amazing,” Joe said. “I think this was a great way to start off our season, and was definitely a confidence boost for our team.”

All around the girls have strengths in each aspect of the game.

“We are a super consistent team,” Joe said. “Our defense and serve receive this year is the best it has ever been. Our serves and offensive attacks are also some of our greatest aspects.”

The girls had a strong sense of confidence going into the game.

“I talked to my other teammates before our game Monday and we all felt super confident,” Joe said. “In the past, we have been hopeful for a win, but we knew we had a really good chance of winning this year.”

The morale from the game built a foundation for the girls to build off of during this season.

“This win was huge for all of us and I think the momentum of this win will help us succeed throughout the season,” Joe said.