Girls’ and boys’ cross country prepare to dominate the course at the state meet

Photo courtesy: Adriana Nadeau
Gils’ cross country prepared to dominate the course this Saturday.

Girls’ and boys’ cross country finish up their seasons at the state meet this Saturday. The meet is being held at Derryfield park in Manchester. The girls’ race starts at nine a.m. and the boys’ race starts at 9:50 a.m. Both teams have had successful seasons and a good feeling about the state meet.

“I think that we have a good chance of winning and making it to the Meet of Champions, the meet after D1’s,” junior Adriana Nadeau said. “To be able to do this, our whole team will have to have really good races on the hardest course that we run. It’s going to be a hard race, but we have been training since March and have worked so hard.”

Along with the girls’ team, the boys are working just as hard to achieve their goal. Junior Colby Lynch knows that his team’s hard work is going to pay off.

“The team is looking really strong going into the state championship, the top guys are looking to get top ten finishes out of everyone and we are ranked second  in D1,” Lynch said.

Given the circumstances, this state meet this year will look a little different than past years. The runners have to start in separate waves in order to keep distant during the race. There are about five people from each team in the waves.

“When you start fifteen seconds behind the other wave you can’t always catch up to the others so you have to push yourself more. It can be hard at times when you don’t see anyone,” Nadeau said.

However, Nadeau knows this will not stop her team from winning. With such a tight bond, they can achieve anything.

“I think that our team’s biggest strength is that we all support each other and are a really close group of girls,” Nadeau said. “We all push each other to do our best and that is what helps make us a good team.”

Lynch has just as high of expectations for the boys’ team. Although it will be a tough race, our Lancers are well prepared. 

“Concord has been the best team in D1 for the last few years now and they are the favorites this year as well, but I think that Londonderry could definitely pull off an upset and win the title,” Lynch said.