Mrs. Tebbetts receives 2020-21 Teacher of the Year Award

Photo Courtesy of Ashley Tebbetts
Tebbetts stands with her three daughters at the annual Unifed Snowball. The Snowball is an annual dance for all Unified athletes and helpers.

LHS Wellness teacher and Unified soccer coach Mrs. Tebbetts has made a lasting impact on the students at LHS. Tebbetts has been awarded Teacher of the Year for the 2020-2021 school year. 

Tebbetts was “overwhelmed” with emotion when her award was announced at the 2021 LHS Spring Pep Rally.  During the pep rally Tebbetts was asked to go outside under the impression that one of her students was singing and wanted her to watch. The award was a complete surprise to Tebbetts and she was extremely proud to be recognized in front of her coworkers, staff, and family.

“I had no idea that I was brought to the pep rally to receive this award, and I was completely shocked when my name was announced. To know that you have made a difference in the lives of your students means everything to a teacher,” Tebbetts said. “In that moment I felt proud, overjoyed, and valued. I was already tearful walking out to receive this award, but when I looked over and saw that my three girls, my husband, my parents, and my sister were all there to celebrate this moment with me, my tears of joy became uncontrollable.” 

When you have a community of people who are passionate and proud, you create a positive place like Londonderry High School

— Mrs. Tebbetts

Tebbetts takes great pride in her teaching and gives her students a helping hand whenever they need it. Tebbetts connects with students on a level deeper than education, taking the time to bond with them on a personal level. 

“The conversations with my students would be the best moments of being a teacher. I love hearing about my students’ interests, their family, how they spend their time outside of school, how their activities are going, what they did over the weekend. I love hearing their opinions, their perspectives, and their thoughts,” Tebbetts said. “It is simply an honor to be a part of a high school student’s journey. As high school teachers we have the opportunity to watch personal growth and to be a part of seeing a student discover their interests, passions, and goals. Watching students that you had as freshmen graduate and go on to make a difference is rewarding beyond comparison.”

LHS student, junior Natalie Karlson has been impacted by Mrs. Tebbetts’ kindness in the classroom and on the Unified soccer field. 

Tebbetts celebrates Unified Soccer win with her team. (Photo Courtesy of Ashley Tebbetts)

“Mrs. Tebbetts has been an amazing role model for me. She is so sweet and caring, always saying hello to me. I am so lucky to have had her as my teacher and coach,” Karlson said. 

Tebbetts uses compassion and understanding in her classroom to connect with students. It is always a priority that her students are taught in a comfortable and relaxed environment. 

“I try to take on the role of facilitating learning in the classroom. We learn from one another and through guided discovery while forming connections,” Tebbetts said. “I try to find a way to meet the needs of my students by showing flexibility and being understanding.  The classroom space and the setting is also extremely important to me. I enjoy having my class set up in a way that is conducive to my students being able to socialize with one another, and if a lesson can be completed outside in any way, that is where you will find me.”

Tebbetts’ flexibility worked to her advantage during the pandemic, and she was still able to create a comfortable environment for her students. 

Tebbetts high fives athlete after a great play. (Photo Courtesy of Ashley Tebbetts)

“This year has been unique due to our time spent remote. During remote learning I made placing students in their own breakout room a priority so I could still check in with what they were up to and how they were doing, while also making sure that I could support their academic questions or concerns without having an audience of the entire class,” Tebbetts said.

Students in Tebbetts’ class are able to connect and collaborate with each other throughout the period, leaving opportunities for the growth of friendships. 

“Mrs. Tebbetts’ class was so much fun,” Karlson said. “We always had small class activities that made me laugh, and I had a great group of friends to work with.”

Tebbetts takes every day at LHS to improve her students’ overall well-being. Her passion for her job translates into her classroom. 

“My favorite part about being at LHS is the pride that I feel knowing that I am fortunate to be someone who absolutely loves their job,” Tebbetts said. “I am blessed to be surrounded by students who respect and appreciate their school, and I am inspired by the teachers, administrators, and staff at LHS who will go above and beyond for their students without even thinking twice. When you have a community of people who are passionate and proud, you create a positive place like Londonderry High School.” 

As high school teachers we have the opportunity to watch personal growth and to be a part of seeing a student discover their interests, passions, and goals. Watching students that you had as freshmen graduate and go on to make a difference is rewarding beyond comparison

— Mrs. Tebbetts

The memory of the award being presented will be ingrained in Tebbetts mind for the rest of her life, she is grateful for the time put into giving her this special honor. 

“This year has been challenging, exhausting, and overwhelming for our students. I would like to say thank you so much for putting in the extra time and going out of your way to submit the nominations even though you had projects, papers, and homework of your own to complete,” Tebbetts said. “Thank you for sharing your experiences and for creating a memory that I will never forget. In the past the pep rally was not recorded, but because the event was being live streamed to underclassmen I will forever be able to go back and watch this memory time and time again.”