Students in adult education program graduate from LHS

Andrew Macpherson
“I feel lucky to be a part of the Adult Ed community,” Burkhardt said. “I’m proud of how all of the students come from various backgrounds and life experiences with the same goal in mind: to graduate.”

Students in the Adult Education program dawned white and blue gowns and threw their tassels to the right on Thursday, Jan. 5, 2023. 

Meeting in the evenings, students enrolled in the program aimed to complete their necessary high school credits before the end of the regular school year.

“[I felt] happy that I finally accomplished school and was moving onto the next chapter,” graduate Amanda Mills said.

Other students enrolled in Adult-Ed realized that adult education gave them an opportunity which regular school day couldn’t give them.

“The classes were small,” Mills said. “So when I needed extra help it wasn’t hard to get the teacher’s attention.”

The Adult Education program is primarily run by House 3 Assistant Principal Crystal Rich along with school counselor Kaitlyn Burkhardt and administrative assistant Rebecca Mitchell. On top of the regular day, numerous LHS teachers stay after school to teach students in the Adult-Ed program as well.

“I feel lucky to be a part of the Adult-Ed community,” Burkhardt said. “I’m proud of how all of the students come from various backgrounds and life experiences with the same goal in mind: to graduate.”

Jessica Stewart, who was one of the graduation speakers, said she had walked into her freshman year believing she wasn’t going to walk across the stage and graduate. In her junior year, she suffered chronic migraines and was absent from school many times. 

“Then I came across Adult Education,” Stewart said in her speech. “I wasn’t really interested because that means that I wouldn’t be able to see any of my friends anymore, but little did I know that this program would open up so many opportunities for me.”

“[I felt] happy that I finally accomplished school and was moving onto the next chapter,” Graduate Amanda Mills said. ( Photo taken by Andrew Macpherson)
Before the graduates walked across the stage for their diplomas, five students received awards and two received vouchers. There was also recognition in memory of Kate Sherwood, who assisted in the Adult Education program during her time here.

In total, 21 students, consisting of mothers, teenagers, and those who took online classes, received their diplomas and began the next step in their lives. 

“I know how hard they’ve worked for this moment and am excited for their future opportunities,” Mrs. Burkhardt said.