New Foods Director brings new energy to cafe

New+Food+Director+Amanda+Venezia+brings+new+food+and+equipment+changes+to+the+cafeteria.+
Photo by Emily Schackart
New Food Director Amanda Venezia brings new food and equipment changes to the cafeteria.

Swedish meatballs, Asian lettuce wraps, and Russian potato skins have arrived–or will soon be arriving–in the LHS cafeteria under the new Food Director Amanda Venezia, who replaced previous director Nancy Faucon.

“I am super excited about the new job and have a lot of big plans for the school,” Venezia said, “including new menu items and equipment.” 

Receiving around 120 new emails a day, Venezia is busy running the Food Services at all the schools in Londonderry, not just LHS. Since June of this year, Venezia has been implementing her vision for a new cafeteria and a new lunch program.

“My goal is to keep the nutritional integrity of the food we serve, and have fiscal responsibility,” Venezia said. “We want to serve food that students are going to like, that is good for them, and still make money.”

Venezia has an associates degree in hotel management and a bachelors in hospitality management with a focus in food and beverage from Johnson and Wales, and a master’s degree from UMass Boston. She is one of only nineteen people in the country who is a school nutrition specialist. 

“I love food and education,” Venezia said. “I am such a foodie.”

Previously, Venezia worked at Darden restaurants as their youngest restaurant manager in the region.  She then was the food director in Hillsborough for five years, before taking the job in Londonderry.

“When I got the opportunity to come to Londonderry, I scooped it up,” Venezia said. “This place is awesome. I am in charge of balancing a two million dollar business.”

But being food director is more than just a business to Venezia.  She feels passionate about bringing good food to students and teachers.

Also, since this year the district is off the Federal Lunch Program, there are now fewer restrictions on what the schools can serve.  Therefore, this gives Venezia the “flexibility to be creative with the menu” and be a “trendsetter,” which she is excited about.  

“There are no longer handcuffs on what we can do,” Venezia said. “We are able to think outside the box because we are off the Federal program.”

Fresh fruit is one of the new initiatives the cafeteria is implementing this year as well as a frozen yogurt machine and coffee bar.
Photo by Emily Schackart

Even with all these changes, she said she has “a clear vision” of what she wants to do with the school.

“I didn’t want a quick fix,” Venezia said, “and I am confident in the decisions I have made.”

Venezia comes from Italian and Asian roots, and she brings both cultures together in the food she serves.

“I love Asian food and am obsessed with sushi and soup,” Venezia said. “I married an Italian and my aunt was Japanese. I learned to use chopsticks at age three.”

When she’s not at school, Venezia is with her two-year-old daughter who loves riding horses.  She is also part of a book club that reads young adult books.

“I am a thirty-one-year-old mom who is obsessed with Twilight and Vampire Academy books,” Venezia said. “I am dedicated and hardworking–I seriously work all the time–but I think Divergent and the Hunger Games are the best things ever.”

The best thing about her job? Watching the money come in.  She said she gauges how successful a meal was based on how much money the cafeteria made that day.

Her other favorite aspect of the job?  “Getting retweeted on Twitter,” Venezia said.

Venezia likes to use Twitter to make sure students and teachers are aware of the new food items coming out this year.

She also feels it’s important to taste-test these items before she serves it in the cafeteria.

“I wouldn’t want to serve the students something that I don’t think tastes good,” Venezia said. “I am bringing in a lot of new equipment and foods, and I really like student feedback.”

What she believes in most though is working hard to get results.

“If you put in the work, you will be successful,” Venezia said. “Success equals the effort you put in.”