Comedy+Classics

All images were obtained from IMDb.

Comedy Classics

When you think of a holiday movie, you picture these classics. Be warned: if you plan to drink some eggnog while watching these movies, you just may laugh so hard it comes out your nose.

A Christmas Story (1983)

Ralphie Parker lives a tough life for a nine-year-old. All he wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle, and his parents refuse to get it for him. However, this isn’t the only fiasco surrounding the Parker family in this classic. Interspersing the main story are multiple side stories, ranging from Ralphie’s friend getting his tongue stuck to a frozen flagpole, Ralphie getting his mouth washed out with soap, or Ralphie’s father winning an oddly shaped lamp. There is not a dull moment in this Christmas comedy.

This movie is so popular that the TV channel TNT has been airing what they call “24 Hours of A Christmas Story” every year since 1997. Starting at 8pm on Christmas Eve, A Christmas Story airs consecutively twelve times, ending at 8pm on Christmas Day.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

I watched it a lot when I was a kid, year round. I think Jim Carrey did an amazing job in the movie. If I see it on TV, I always sit down and watch it.

— sophomore Kaitlyn McHugh

An adaption of the book by Dr. Suess, How the Grinch Stole Christmas has grown in significant popularity over the past 20 years. In the story, we’re introduced to the Whos of Whoville, who are eagerly awaiting Christmas. High atop Mount Crumpit, the Grinch overlooks the city, displeased with all the cheer and noise the Whos are making. After being humiliated in front of the town twice, the Grinch decides he’s going to take the one thing the Whos care about most: he’s going to steal Christmas.

Jim Carrey’s portrayal of the title character provides a great spin on this timeless story. Carrey’s performance can be attested to How the Grinch Stole Christmas being the second highest grossing holiday film of all time.

Elf (2003)

I love how Buddy acts and how he doesn’t exactly care what people think of him. The movie is very funny!

— freshman Haley Alden

Buddy the Elf has always been different. He never had the speed to make toys, he’s the only baritone in the elf choir, and he stands at about six feet tall. After the not-so-shocking discovery that he actually isn’t an elf, Buddy (Will Ferrell) sets off to New York City in search of his real father. In the city, Buddy is shocked to see that New York is severely lacking in Christmas spirit. With the help of his half-brother Michael and his new infatuation Jovie (Zooey Deschanel), Buddy attempts to save Christmas, because there’s room for everyone on the nice list.

Lancer Spirit Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in