Animated+Classics

All images were obtained from IMDb.

Animated Classics

There’s nothing that’s reminiscent of the childlike wonder of the holidays than a good animated special. Maybe you’ve seen them before, or maybe you’ve never heard of them, these animations deserve a watch.

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) 

Charlie Brown can’t even seem to do Christmas right. Unlike all the rest of his friends, Charlie Brown feels depressed during the holiday season. In an attempt to feel better, he joins the school’s Christmas play. No matter what he does, Charlie Brown can’t seem to enjoy the holiday. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t understand the meaning of Christmas, or maybe it’s because of the commercialism that’s overtaken the holiday. Or maybe, some people just don’t deserve to enjoy Christmas.

As the first TV special based on the Peanuts comics, A Charlie Brown Christmas is a must watch on any list. The Peanuts gang reminds us that Christmas is not a materialistic holiday, but one that can be enjoyed through the simplest of things.

The Polar Express (2004)

It’s not an average Christmas Eve for our Hero Boy, who is awakened by a train pulling up outside his house. The train, affectionately named the Polar Express, is going to the North Pole. Starting to lose his belief in Santa Claus, the boy thinks that the train must be him dreaming. Along the ride, the boy meets other children, who don’t seem to believe either. On this once in a lifetime journey, however, the boy realizes that there’s a lot more magic out there than he thought.

A relatively newer entry on the list, The Polar Express will forever be a story for all who truly believe.

Prep and Landing (2009) 

In the North Pole, there is an elite program called “Prep and Landing,” which consists of elves tasked to prep every house in lieu of Santa’s arrival on Christmas Eve. Wayne has been working in the division for 227 years, and he is tired of it. After losing a promotion to his former partner, Wayne decides he’s earned the year off. Instead of helping prep the house, Wayne leaves his new partner Lenny to prepare the house alone. However, a freak snowstorm causes the impossible: Santa canceles landing at the house they’re stationed at. Wayne then realizes the holiday is not about the gifts you get, but bringing joy to those around you.

The year of its original release, Prep and Landing won a well deserved Best Animated Television Production from the International Animated Film Association.

Lancer Spirit Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in