Beyond the lake beaches of Northwestern

northwestern_universiy_archOff the cost of the beautiful Lake Michigan and only a few short miles from Chicago lies a collection of gothic architecture buildings that mark the location of Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.

Northwestern is the smallest and only private school of the Big Ten Conference. Although Northwestern has a high sports appeal form being in the Big Ten, it is a highly prestigious academic school. As well as being ranked overall as the 12th best university in the Unites States by US News and World Report, Northwestern is ranked as the 5th best business school, 8th best education school, 12th best law school, 17th best medical school.

Northwestern may be prominent in the fields of law, business, education, and medication, but the college also has schools of communication, engineering, journalism and marketing, arts and science, and music as well as 110 majors and over 4,000 courses to chose from.   

However, Northwestern is not an easy school to get into, with an acceptance rate of only 10.7% students applying to the college must be willing to prove their desire to go to the school. Part of the application process for Northwestern requires students to complete a personal essay on why they want to attend Northwestern, the essay is heavily weighted on whether or not that student will be accepted.

Northwestern may seem like an all work school, but there is still plenty of fun to be had. For students looking to remain active Northwestern has Division I sports teams, club sports, and intramural sports. All admission to Northwestern’s athletic games, including football, is free for students. As the college is off the coast of Lake Michigan, Northwestern offers several courses and clubs in sailing. Northwestern also has many on campus plays put on for the students throughout the school year.  The school also offers easy access to the city of Chicago through its bus system.

Despite it’s distance away from New Hampshire, Northwestern is definitely worth the long haul  to the midwest if you looking for a prestigious private school away from home.