Please, please don’t ask me about college

I know that much of senior year is about applying to and deciding where to go for college. As every waking moment — and many of my dreams/nightmares — are centered around college, it doesn’t help to be constantly asked by peers, family members and even random people I’ve just met about where I’m going come September.

So please stop asking me about it.

I don’t know where I’m going to end up attending. I won’t know until March. You reminding me that I’m facing an uncertain future is not helping my stress level.

Yes, many of my peers applied early and are hearing back from colleges around this time. But I am not one of those people who had their stuff together and applied early.

Even if I was, but didn’t get into my top school, I would not want the constant reminder of my failure when people ask me about it.   

I also know that the deadline for applications for most of my colleges is January 1. I know that it is less than a month away. I am well aware of how many essays I have to write and how little time I have.

And while I appreciate recommendations about what makes a good application, please don’t offer any unless I ask.

Being bombarded with advice and anecdotes about the time you applied to college is not going to make my essay any better. Our conversation is not going to suddenly spark a world-changing idea I can write about to impress colleges.

I know that the people who ask me about college have good intentions. I know they don’t want to exacerbate my stress. But the constant stream of questions about my future makes me sweat uncontrollably.

If it helps think of it this way: You wouldn’t want someone to constantly ask you about when you are having a baby right after you get married. Maybe you don’t want kids at all. Maybe you want to wait a year. Maybe I don’t want to go to college. Maybe I want to take a gap year. The point is, just as you don’t want to talk about when you are having children, I don’t want to talk about where I’m going to school.

So ask me about sports, or about what my New Years resolutions are or even about the weather, but please, please stop asking me about college.

If your curiosity simply can’t be assuaged and you must find out right now where someone is going, check out these guidelines on the appropriate way to start the conversation.