Eat candy. Eat turkey. THEN have your eggnog.

Art by Kait Bedell

If you are dancing to Christmas music, drinking eggnog, and binge watching Hallmark movies, Knock it off! We haven’t even gone trick-or-treating yet.

I mean, why are there Christmas commercials right after I just bought pencils and notebooks during my back-to-school shopping? Like come on, Walmart, can’t you wait until November to start selling colorful lights and fake trees? It just makes me sick when I see anyone wearing red and green before I get to chow down on my orange and black candy.

Cut it out, dude.  You’re going to miss out on the other holiday fun.

This beautiful holiday called Halloween allows kids to have an abundance of candy and it’s okay to eat a ton in one night. You don’t get to eat a ton of candy on any other holiday!

Unless you’re single, sad, and hungry on Valentine’s day.

There is so much to do during this time of year than to just skip ahead to Christmas. Go to a corn maze or a haunted house.  Carve pumpkins. Watch the Charlie Brown Halloween special or a scary movie.  Maybe even go trick-or-treating.

Art by Kait Bedell

Anything there is to try and get in the Halloween mood. I beg you, please try it.

If Halloween just isn’t your thing, then make sure you do your best to celebrate Thanksgiving. Watch the Macy’s parade, turn on some football, and stuff your face with turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  What a great way to share memories with family and friends.

Once Thanksgiving is over? By all means go bonkers with your Carols, candy canes and ugly Christmas sweaters.  By then you’ll be on the right side of Thanksgiving with your bad Christmas self.

All I know is that I’ll be going all out celebrating each holiday at a time.

My house is filled with Halloween lights and decorations. I know I will be trick-or-treating with my friends and enjoying that bag of Reese’s and handfuls of candy corn. And yes, I will have a huge blow up turkey in my front yard, and I will be eating so much food I just may blow up!

So I’m getting a group together to go trick-or-treating on Tuesday, so let me know if you change your mind.  

As long as you don’t show up in red and green.