Teens aren’t too old to trick-or-treat

Photo by Erin Carlson
Sophomores Hannah Gagnon and Lilly Law in costume for band on Fri. Oct. 27 at the Salem football game.

With Halloween tonight and trick-or-treating on Friday, all us teens are presented with the question, “Will I go trick-or-treating this year?” Some may think, “No that’s for little kids!” but others may be counting down the days until they get their free candy.

Almost every other day of the year, teens are expected to be serious and to grow up and prepare for being adults. So, why not go out and have some good innocent fun this one night of the year?

Teens often get a bad rep for being irresponsible on Halloween above all other nights of the year. So, instead of egging your neighbors house or stealing the little kids’ candy or taking all the candy left out in a bowl, show those adults that they have nothing to worry about. Teens who go trick-or-treating prove to have a responsible, safe, and still fun Halloween.

Sure it may be lame that trick or treating ends at 8:00, and maybe you’d rather go to Screamfest or stay at your friend’s house until 12:00 watching horror movies, but you can do that after, especially trick-or-treating Friday night.

If you do go out though, wear a costume. No adult wants to give candy to a teen in jeans and a t-shirt, and your costume doesn’t even have to be that complicated, unless you want it to be, in which case feel free to go all out. Really, you could just wrap yourself in some toilet paper and you would be a mummy, or just wear all black and some ears and you would be a cat. Halloween is an opportunity to be creative for people of all ages.

Who cares if other teens may judge you? If you really want to go trick or treating, no one’s stopping you. Go out with friends and appreciate the time together. We only have a couple years left until college, some of us even less, and you don’t want to end up regretting not doing something fun while you were still able to, so get out and enjoy being a kid while you still can.