Unpopular Opinions: If you don’t dress up for Halloween, you’re lame

Art by Juliana Hamel
Juliana Hamel’s reoccurring column will be focusing on points of views topics that no one wants to talk about.

Ah, Halloween. The spookiest time of year. There’s nothing better than carving pumpkins, visiting haunted houses, and drowning in buckets of candy. Only one thing could possibly ruin the hauntingly good time to be had on Halloween: the people who don’t dress up.

Halloween is the only time of year it’s acceptable for adults to dress up like babies and for babies to dress up like adults. On none of the other 364 days can you walk around in public dressed like the clown that you are without being ridiculed. 

You may think it looks dumb to dress up like an evil witch and go door-to-door asking strangers for candy, but trust me, no one is giving their M&M’s away to the kid in jeans and a t-shirt.

You’re supposed to embrace the weird, scary, and downright crazy on Halloween, so why not revel in it? Sure, that can be done by going to ScreamFest or binging horror movies in the dark, but dressing up really rounds out the spirit.

So, for the love of all that is spooky, dress up. Otherwise the ghost of Halloween Past will haunt you for the rest of your life.