The joy of gift giving

Design by Olivia Windisch
Now move on to Valentine’s Day.  Commercialism Part Two. The origin of Valentine’s Day has many variations. Most include tales of St. Valentine and differ by various religions. But all lead to where we are today, with February 14th representing a day to express our affections all in the name of St. Valentine.  

In case you haven’t picked up a gift for your special someone yet take a look at this article for some ideas!

2022 is finally upon us!  The calendar has flipped.  The days are getting longer.  Spring is, almost, right around the corner.  And the season of pure commercialism, also known as Christmas, is behind us!  Or is it? 

For those of us with someone special in our lives, we now move on to Valentine’s Day.  Commercialism Part Two. The origin of Valentine’s Day has many variations. Most include tales of St. Valentine and differ by various religions. But all lead to where we are today, with February 14th representing a day to express our affections all in the name of St. Valentine.  

But Valentine’s Day is not a public holiday in any country, hence the fact that we don’t get a day off from school.  It certainly seems like a celebration simply for the sake of commercialism. 

This isn’t exactly a problem though, I mean everyone likes gifts, right? So assuming we buy into this tradition, what are the expectations that people have when it comes down to giving and receiving gifts?  Do they need to be material items or are kind gestures enough?

If you’re confused as to what to get your significant other, and what to expect in return, ask around, use the internet, or simply read on…Often the gifts are based on the people and the relationship itself.  Is it a brand new relationship? Is this your first Valentine’s Day together, your 2nd, more?  The gifts and expectations often change along with those variables.  

Our parents may well be at the stage where they’ve celebrated so many Valentines together that gifts are no longer ‘required’.  They may find comfort in a heartfelt note or a big hug.  So is that enough for us as teenagers?  Unless that expectation has been clearly stated before February 14th, probably not!  Best to be prepared.  

Boys, if you’re in a relatively new relationship you probably don’t need to think too hard.  The basics, like chocolates, teddy bears, simple flowers, and a card are safe bets.  

If the relationship has gotten fairly serious it’s time to put in some additional thought and effort.  Certainly the basics are still acceptable but it might be nice to add a more personal touch.  Instead of a generic floral arrangement, maybe she has a favorite flower. And if it fits the budget, jewelry, or perfume is always a meaningful gift. But not all good gifts need to be expensive.  Try cooking her favorite meal.  As long as it’s not a complete disaster it’ll tell her a lot that you put in the effort.  Add a card with a sweet handwritten note and you can’t go wrong.  Hard for anyone to complain about a personalized holiday.  

Now girls, let’s not forget that boys like to get gifts too!  Maybe not the typical gifts associated with Valentine’s Day, because those tend to be associated with gifts girls like to receive.  But there are still plenty of options for you as well.  Boys like useful things.  If he has a favorite team, a nice, comfy sweatshirt of that team will never go to waste.  Or tickets to a sporting event.  And what boys really like to do is make you happy, so if you have a favorite cologne or body spray you like, chances are he’ll wear it because you picked it out for him.  So that’s a win-win for you with a thoughtful gift that is something you’ll get to smell everyday instead of his sweaty sneakers.  But again, not everything needs to be expensive or bought.  If he typically plans date nights and has seen his fair share of chick flicks, feel free to flip the script.  Plan a night out, take him to a movie he’d like to see.  Or accompany him to that game you got him tickets for.   

The big picture is teenage romance should be all about the experience.  Material things are fun and sweet but thoughtful, creative gifts or shared adventures are just as meaningful as a piece of jewelry.  

And when all else fails, if you’re still stumped, you can never go wrong with the standard gifts dating back to 18th century England – “flowers, offers of confectionery, and greeting cards”. Throw in a cute teddy bear and everyone is happy!