Boys basketball shows exemplary perseverance this 2022-2023 season

February 9, 2023

The+team+stands+for+the+national+anthem+before+their+72-64+win+against+Portsmouth.+

Courtesy of @londonderrybasketball 's Instagram

The team stands for the national anthem before their 72-64 win against Portsmouth.

With being more than halfway through their 2022-2023 season, boys’ basketball has demonstrated spectacular perseverance—observed by new head coach Jared Piecuch. Piecuch was ecstatic to join Lancer Nation and saw early on what this group of kids can accomplish.

“We are practicing hard every day and learning a new system,” Piecuch said. “The boys’ commitment level has been tremendous.”

While winning and beating their competition is an exciting aspect to the sport, this team doesn’t lose sight of the importance of teamwork and what it means to be an exceptional athlete.

“With having such a great group of kids making up this year’s team, they are able to all get along and have a collective understanding that being on a team means more than just basketball,” Piecuch said.

The 2022-2023 boys basketball team has an upcoming game this Friday, February 10 at Winnacunnet. Wish the boys good luck when you see them in the halls! (Courtesy of Lancer Nation Boys Basketball Association’s Facebook)

After seeing the exemplary camaraderie this team displays, Piecuch is hopeful for this season. 

“I am looking forward to watching our program grow and become one of the most competitive programs in the state,” Piecuch said.

Although they can be considered a “younger” team (with only three seniors taking the court this year), senior Kevin Rourke feels like they have come along quickly so far.

“I feel like we’re going to get better every week,” Rourke said. “I think we are very balanced on offense and have some work to do on defense to reach our potential.”

After persisting through a challenging first two games, senior Kyle Rondeau had no doubt that with their hard work in practice, they would be able to break the cycle. 

Left to Right: #24 senior Kevin Rourke, #55 senior Trevor Edmunds, and #14 senior Kyle Rondeau. (Courtesy of Lancer Nation Boys Basketball Association’s Facebook)

With the close-knit dynamic of the group, Rondeau is certain that he and his teammates will have a “blast” playing together and that this season will be more than enjoyable.

“[I am] looking forward to a great season with these guys and couldn’t ask for a better group to play and cheer for everyday,” Rondeau said.