Me and Valentine’s Day? It’s complicated.

February 14, 2023

It’s a love-hate relationship with Valentine’s Day.

Throughout the years, the day for lovers has been widely disputed. Some are enthralled by the pink and red gifting traditions whereas for others, the day is filled with misery.

Using a poll on The Lancer Spirit’s Instagram page, 53% of students voted that they “Love Valentine’s Day” and 47% of students voted that they “Hate Valentine’s Day.” (Created by Megan Standifer)

Love it

Lots of people shake their heads and laugh at the ‘cheesy-ness’ of the famous holiday surrounding love, but Valentine’s day is a fun holiday that gets a lot more bashing then it deserves.

Although it’s true that Valentine’s day can serve as a cringy reminder of relationships, there are ways to view the day as something other than a commercialized holiday. For starters, the bright colors and aesthetic of the holiday have a pretty ambiance of pink and red, flowers and hearts. What’s not to love?

If you are in a relationship, it’s such a fun day to celebrate with your partner. There are a variety of fun traditions such as going to dinner, giving gifts, and writing letters to show appreciation for your significant other. Gift giving is such a good way to show any of your loved ones how much you love them.

If you aren’t in a relationship, there are still ways to engage with the holiday so you don’t feel left out. Many people give gifts to their friends, or participate in ‘galantine’s day’ by celebrating with girls nights and fun.

Valentine’s day is also rightfully popularized because of the amazing candy that this holiday offers: specifically sweet tart hearts, which are perfect and delicious. While the true foundation of Valentine’s day doesn’t simply revolve around candy, treats are always a plus.

Valentine’s day is a day for love of all kinds. This holiday is about celebrating the people you love in your life, and shouldn’t be slandered as much as it is.

About the Writer
Photo of Michaela Horan
Michaela Horan, Copy Chief

This is Senior Michaela Horan's second year on staff at the Lancer Spirit, and this year she is the position of copy chief. She's the author of the Rolling Hills series, the first of which was published in 2021. She enjoys writing music and doing theater and loves being on staff.