House 4 counselor Mr. Papargiris tries to “[provide] bumpers to allow the students to navigate [themselves] comfortably.”

May 12, 2023

Morgan Laczynski

House four counselor, Mr. Papargiris, tries to “motivate students to recognize, it’s not just about having that one person that you’re assigned to talk to,” Papargiris said. “But someone you feel comfortable talking to.”

House four counselor Kevin Papargiris takes time and commitment to help students in need, and those who need an extra shoulder to lean on. Papargiris likes to help not only his caseload with personal and academic problems, but anyone who needs a smile to brighten their day.

“I think it’s good for students to have somebody they trust and someone they can confide [in],” Papargiris said.

Papargiris wants students to have the opportunity to talk to someone, not necessarily a therapist, but someone they can trust. 

“School counselors are in this great area where we deal with mental health but we are in a school setting,” Papargiris said.

Having school counselors is a good opportunity and convenience for students. All students can find someone who can listen in an everyday school setting. 

“I try to motivate students to recognize, it’s not just about having that one person that you’re assigned to talk to,” Papargiris said. “But someone you feel comfortable talking to.”

Some students feel as if the counselor they are assigned/house they are in are the only sources they can reach out and talk to. But in reality, every house and counselor’s are looking for more students to stop by and visit.

“I have my ethical principles, and there’s three that I uphold the most,” Paprgiris said. “Autonomy, allowing the individual to make their own decisions for themselves. Nonmaleficence, not causing any harm to the individual. And beneficence, kind and caring,” Papargiris said.

Papargiris believes in the three ethical principles to help and direct students instead of telling them what he thinks is needed. It gives the students more freedom. 

“It’s not really about me directing, it’s more about me providing bumpers to allow the students to navigate [themselves] comfortably.”