#WarOnChristmas has gone too far

Starbucks red cup controversy sparks a conservative feud
Photo by Eric Brown

At the beginning of November, Starbucks released their annual winter-themed cups. But this year, there’s a “huge” difference that is angering many people.

Since the late ‘90’s, in November and December Starbucks has always sold coffee in red cups decorated with winter themes such as holly and snowflakes. But this year, they tossed the idea of decoration leaving the cup a solid red, which can only mean one thing: Starbucks is boycotting Christmas.

Some very upset Twitter users began calling it a “war on Christmas,”  and thousands of tweets were made using “#WarOnChristmas” and “#BoycottStarbucks.”

It only IMG_1779makes sense, right?  Obviously, since they no longer include wintry drawings on their cups, they are in fact boycotting the holiday.

Wait, no, that isn’t what it means. In reality, it has no meaning because, come on, it’s a disposable paper cup.

It’s not as if Starbucks put up a billboard in New York City saying, “Sorry, we are now selling cups without holiday designs because we hate Christmas.”

People are blowing thIMG_1778is issue way out of proportion. It’s truly the epitome of 21st century social media America.

I don’t want to be that guy who always complains that“first world problems aren’t real problems,” but this is legitimately not a problem. There are actual important things happening in this country right now, and paper cups is not one of them.

Ultimately, people who were genuinely offended by this should realize Starbucks is only one corporation. There will be plenty of other restaurants and stores who will boldly continue to recognize Christmas.  After all, it’s the biggest money-making season of the year.

So just put down your Venti white mocha Frappuccino in that plain red cup and walk into any store, and I guarantee you will be reassured that Christmas is not going anywhere.