Senioritis: The struggle is real

Artwork by Melina Illinger
We stopped caring about a week ago.

There is a contagious disease spreading throughout high schools across the nation killing all sources of enthusiasm and motivation. The symptoms include laziness, lack of studying, attendance failure, dismissive attitude, and an over excessive wearing of track pants and baggy sweatshirts.  This infectious disease is known as Senioritis.

Senioritis is a supposed illness among senior students portrayed by a significant drop in motivation or performance towards middle/end of the school year.

The only known cure for Senioritis is graduation. There are, however, a few ways to help avoid being infected by this crippling disease.

Plan Ahead

Fitting in all of the stressful responsibilities that accompany being a senior is recognizably difficult, but it’s easy to find the loopholes to ride out the year with ease.  For instance, if you know you have a project due, plan out the minimum amount of work you have to do and then make sure you save about 15 minutes of the day before it’s due to finish it because “due tomorrow” really means “do tomorrow.”

Set Attainable Goals

If the goals that a student sets are too much to handle or even unachievable then the stress will become overwhelming and too unbearable to cope with, resulting in a breakdown or too much Netflix in bed. This being said, try to set goals that are even lower than achievable so that when you get it done you can make a big deal out of it to your teacher as if your accomplishment was actually of some significance.

Get your friends active too

There’s a reason they call it Senioritis: it’s a virus. It’s almost guaranteed to spread to you solely just from hanging out with friends. To bypass some of the side effects, create a “study group.” This is the act of having all intentions of getting together with friends to go over notes for upcoming tests and quizzes, but ending up eating all the food in your friend’s house while watching reruns of Friends with textbooks open next to you.  However, casually looking down at your notes when a boring commercial comes on is better than leaving your backpack in your car all night.

Balancing

Seniors tend to have the most to balance when it comes to responsibilities like homework, jobs, sports, clubs, applying to colleges, and keeping somewhat of a social life. With having to handle all of these accountabilities, homework starts to rank lower while social lives become even more significant than before. A good way of keeping your life inside and out of school balanced is to first recognize what is most important to you. If a social life is something you want to uphold but school keeps getting in the way, try to lowkey finish your homework in class so that you have more time after school to chill with the homies.

And finally, keep this in mind as you battle Senioritis: Since the only cure to this nasty disease is graduation, just keep on procrastinating and the year will fly by. Always remember that a day wasted is a day well spent.