Commentary: Gifts to guarantee your Valentine’s Day will transform into ‘Single Awareness Day’

Valentine’s Day is mainly focused on building up our relationships and strengthening our bonds as partners.

But what about those of you who want to ditch your hubby or give the missus the boot, without all the emotional backlash?

Well, lucky for you, we’ve found the perfect way to to tell your significant other to hit the road: Give them a bad Valentine’s Day gift.

Here is a list of some of the best gifts to tell your boyfriend or girlfriend that it’s over.

For Him

A stick of deodorant: There’s no better way to tell your boyfriend that they stink (literally). Make sure to get a brand they don’t like to seal the deal for this bad gift.

The Notebook on DVD: Not only will this add a strain to your relationship, but more likely than not, you’ll be the one who gets The Notebook back when he breaks up with you. It’s a win-win situation for everybody (except him).

Out of Grandma’s Purse (preferably stale) candy: The older the better, so make sure to raid the stash even your grandma forgot about. Nothing says “I don’t like you” like Werther’s Original or Butterscotch hard candy that has been collecting dust in a candy dish for the past 30 years.

For Her

A $10 gift certificate for Weight Watchers: If you’re looking to destroy your girlfriend’s self-confidence as well as your relationship with her, then look no further.

Slightly used Shake-Weight: Shoddy infomercial products are the perfect gift to your show significant other how much you care (or don’t) about your relationship. Being cheap for this gift is a must, so don’t forget to leave on the $2.99 price tag from Goodwill.

Tacky, fake check-out counter rose: Nothing says, “I did not think of you until I was stopping for gas on the way to your house on Valentine’s Day” then some fake roses you picked up at 7/11. Actually pretty much any gas station gift will let your girlfriend know it’s time to move on.

Please Note: If you have already bought any of the above gifts for the one you love, take it back or throw it away.  OR don’t be surprised when you get the boot.  You’ve been warned, people.