Taste buds be warned: New ‘Chef Specialty Meals’ coming to LHS cafe

Picture by @dng_londonderry

Eating is more than just shoveling food down your throat to cease your stomach grumbles. It’s an experience that’s meant to open your eyes–and taste buds–to a world of new flavors.

Amanda Venezia, the director of Londonderry dining services, has made it a goal to “open up students’ taste palettes to different things they’ll see in the world.”

Her plan for new recipes is to cook what inspires her and to serve meals that are seasonally appropriate. In November, beets are considered a seasonal vegetable, leading to this month’s Chef Specialty Meal, honey miso salmon with beet and apple salad.

The cafeteria will be trying to serve meals from the “Chef Specialty Menu” every other month. These meals are inspired by renowned chefs, such as Marcus Samuelsson, who has been featured on shows like Chopped and Iron Chef.

This month’s specialty meal recipe was sent specifically to Londonderry straight from chef Samuelsson via Twitter. Check out the video he sent here.

Though not every meal can be a chef specialty meal, there is constantly new recipes being dished out in the cafeteria. Walking into the kitchen today, the typical New Hampshire cuisine was replaced by southern staples: chicken and waffles and collard greens.

“What am I, in Georgia?” said Mr. Vaughn upon seeing the day’s lunch selections.

This cultural meal is all a part of Venezia’s plan to “expose students to different ethnicities.” However, even if students aren’t completely on board with these new meals, there will be alternatives, such as chicken rather than salmon, but it will still be infused with the same flavors.

Even with all the new flavors, the food prepared in the kitchen continues to be real and healthy.

“Real food comes from the ground not a box,” Venezia said, quoting her own instagram caption.