Injured Holland, Belville reflect on being out for season

Junior defensive weapons unlikely to return for remainder of football season

For Lancer football, losing juniors Jake Holland and Ty Belville for the entire season was something the team never saw coming, and something that would force the team to undergo roster changes.  

Jake Holland, wingback/safety

Photo by Tracy Ryan
Junior Jake Holland sets himself up to get ready for a potential pass at wingback against Merrimack. Holland had 102 rushing yards and 281 receiving yards at wingback last year.

For Holland, this was going to be his second year on varsity, and he was supposed to be given an increased role on offense at wingback and on defense at safety.  However, his junior season has been cut short after suffering a fractured clavicle during the first kickoff play of this year’s preseason jamboree against Bedford.

Dealing with injuries had been a path that Holland has been down before. During his football career, Holland has had three concussions, two broken arms, and has broken his other clavicle.

To teammate senior Connor Dubois, losing Holland means also losing a “hard hitter” and one of “the toughest kids” on the team.  Dubois said he’s not only one of the most athletic at his position, but also on the team.

Head coach Lauzon also feels Holland’s loss.

“Jake brings the most speed to the team and can defend the back end on defense,” Lauzon said.

Holland feels the loss of the season most of all.  Now that he is not on the field, he still tries to be helpful by getting water for his teammates.  Other than than that, he said his new life on the bench consists of “staying quiet and focused and watching the game.”

Holland believes that the season is going great and that the team is “growing and getting better every week.”

“I’m excited to see how the season turns out,” Holland said. “I’m going to miss not being able to play with his friends and not being able to play in front of the school under the lights on Friday nights,” Holland said.

Though it is not an easy thing to swallow, Holland is starting to accept the fact that his season on the field this year is over.

But he wants the best for his teammates and said they should give it their all while they still can play.

“A season can be taken from you at any moment,” Holland said.

Ty Belville, inside linebacker/offensive guard

Photo by Christine O’Loughlin
Junior Ty Belville (59) waits patiently at offensive guard to drive into a tackle against Timberlanes’ defensive line. Picture is from last year because it is was the last time he played in a game previous to his injury.

Like Holland, teammate junior Ty Belville was also faced with a season-ending shoulder injury this year. This was going to be his second year on varsity.

Belville would have been a big help this year at inside linebacker. However, Belville’s junior year isn’t living up to his expectations as he is forced to sit out with a broken Glenoid bone in his right shoulder, after injuring it on a kickoff against Nashua North. Although in Belville’s opinion, this injury has been his worst, as he has also suffered a torn labrum and torn AC ligament.

Belville’s strength and speed that go into his tackles are an element of his game that will definitely be missed this season by the team.

Coach Lauzon feels it is unfortunate that Belville did not get to show off how important he could have been to the team this year, but at least “he will be able to showcase what he’s got next year.”

While Belville’s on field season is over, he is still actively trying to help on the sideline by giving tips on better strategies at their position and helping gather equipment when needed.

When Belville is not helping his other teammates get better, he is finding time to make a football comeback for next year and to prepare for lacrosse in the spring. Belville said he works out for three hours a day to “bulk up” since he soon won’t be able to lift for four months after his surgery.

Belville’s advice to his teammates?

“Don’t take health for granted,” he said. “And don’t take plays off.”