Filed under Showcase, Sports

Underclassmen rise to the occasion, building the future of Lancer Football

Sophomore running back Jeff Wiedenfeld poses for the camera after winning 26-21 against Nashua North. This started was the third win of the season that propelled them to a 3-0 record.

Photo by Christine O Loughlin

Photo by Christine O Loughlin

After an improved season compared to the last couple, the Lancers future on the football field is looking bright. The football team is loaded with tremendous young talent. The freshman haven’t lost a game for two seasons in a row, and there are a few young stars ready to showcase their skills.

In 2014, Eric Fairweather led the varsity team to a 7-1 record. Since then, the Lancers have not nearly had the same success. The Lancers made the playoffs this past season, but were eliminated by Salem, 35-14, in the first round.

One of the extremely talented athletes in the upcoming junior class is star running back Jeff Wiedenfeld. Wiedenfeld played well on varsity as a freshman, and backed that up with a record breaking sophomore year; he is the first sophomore at Londonderry to ever have 1000 yards or more.

Despite Wiedenfeld having an outstanding sophomore season with 10 touchdowns and over 1000 rushing yards, he has always challenged himself to become better, every year since 2nd grade.

His goal for next season, breaking 2000 yards.

This offseason Wiedenfeld is going to be lifting, running indoor track, and playing lacrosse. One of his offseason goals is to become faster and “cut down” his forty yard dash time. With this star running back coming into his 3rd year of playing for varsity, and the recent winning culture of the upcoming classes, the players are holding their heads high coming into the season.

“I’ll miss the seniors that are leaving very much, but next year I think we will be a very tight knit group,” Wiedenfeld said.

Another talented upcoming junior, Tyler Kayo, has taken up a similar work ethic and mindset for the upcoming seasons.

“I think myself, as well as the whole team, are feeling very optimistic about our future as a team,” Kayo said. “We have a lot of returning players and have a great feeling about this season.”

Kayo, who saw glimpses of the spotlight this season, is looking to increase his playing time this year.

“Next year I’m looking to heavily increase my role on the team by playing on defense as well as offense,” Kayo said. “I also hope to help my team get to the next level and win a championship.”

Kayo also wants to improve himself this offseason. This winter he will be doing indoor track, lifting with Michelle Hart-Miller in the gym, and playing baseball. His goals are to slim down and get faster for the upcoming season.

Kayo has been playing football since elementary school with the same group of kids in his grade, but feels that all of the kids on the team work well together and make a good team.

“We all have great chemistry together,” Kayo said. “We’re always hanging out on and off the field. We’re more of a family than we are a team, and it’s going to show next year on the field.”

With the players’ confidence at an all time high, and young players with exclusive talent, the teams you see the next few years may be some of the best Lancer football teams of all time.

“This season, we’re expecting a season better than any other this school has had.” Kayo said. “We’re hungry, and the only thing to fuel our hunger is hard work, wins, and a championship. Look out for the revenge tour 2018.”