LHS drama club haunts the woods

Photo by Liz Iaconis
Sophomores Gabby Page and Evie Burnette stare at walkers in an attempt to scare them as they travel through the Haunted Woods at last year’s performance.

The fall season is officially in full swing and one way LHS shows their “spooky” spirit is through the annual production of the Haunted Woods held by the drama club.

Although they are most known for their spring musical, the drama club also produces the Haunted Woods, which is the first of many events they hold throughout the year.

“There is something for everyone in the club,” senior member Abby Palmer said. “It’s fun to get to know everyone before the time of the musical.”

Beginning each September, students who wish to be a part of the Haunted Woods come together to organize the event. The club quickly gets to work, deciding on roles and practicing them for their big week.

“New ideas are always being brought to the table,” Palmer said. “Some kids are so creative in what they want to portray”.

The strong chemistry amongst the students encourages members to open their minds to new ideas in order to enhance the performance.

“The students involved in the Haunted Woods get along very well,” Senior Lexi Nimetz said. “We really feed off of each other’s creativity and ideas to help put everything together.”

Nimetz has been participating in the Haunted Woods for all four of her high school years, and explains how it is a very comfortable environment.

“The people are my second family, and I’ve met some of my best friends because of it,” Nimetz said. “Being there feels like a second home.”

While the Haunted Woods serves as a fun source of entertainment during the peak of Halloween season, it also acts as a welcoming community for students to do what they love in the early months of school.

“The main reason I do drama club is a combination of the people and my passion for theatre,” Nimetz said. “I love performing and it’s a great outlet for me”.

Along with building chemistry within the club, the Haunted Woods also benefits the drama club by setting the tone for what the rest of the year is going to be like.

“This event is great for the program because it’s a great way to start out the year strong,” Nimetz said,  “It shows off the talent that we’re bringing and gets people excited for the spring show”.

The drama club encourages everybody to come out to one of the performances starting Tues., Oct. 16 through Thurs., Oct. 18.  They will be selling tickets for $5 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Londonderry ropes course, and profits will help contribute to the spring musical.

“This year, haunted woods is a little earlier than usual, so everyone can get into the spirit a little bit sooner,” Palmer said. “Anybody is welcome to come”.

The Haunted Woods is friendly for all ages and even includes a “Goblin Garden” for the younger audience who do not wish to be scared. This area offers an alternative for those who still want to get in the Halloween spirit, but without all of the scary creatures.

“Everyone should come because it’s going to be great this year,” Nimetz said.

While the club is excited for this coming Haunted Woods performance, they also invite underclassmen to participate in the future.

“I knew I wanted to immerse myself into everything drama related as soon as I got into high school and this was a great way to start off,” Nimetz said. “If underclassmen ever want to get involved, this is a great way to do something smaller.”