Model UN develops real world skills

Photo by Marissa McKay
Club members Maya Lincoln, Marie Duffy, and Haley Hines research in the library during a meeting.

Education is an essential detail when developing real world skills, but clubs outside of the classroom also contribute to building a student’s learning experience. The LHS Model United Nations club offers these skills through research, debates, resolutions, and discussions about unsolved global problems.

The club, originally run by retiree Mrs. Mee, has been dormant for several years, but is now making a comeback with some eager teachers and students.

“Mrs. Wakelin and I had some students approach us; the club had been dead for a while, and they wanted to resurrect it from the ashes,” adviser Mrs. Tallo said. “This is its first year in five or six years that it’s been active. This is like it’s rebirth.”

The basis of the club is to research and write a paper on a worldly issue, then debate it.

“At the conference, we go and meet with a bunch of other schools, who are representing other countries, and we kind of come together,” Tallo said. “It’s kind of a cool thing, because you’re bringing students from around the state or around the country together, and they’re talking about stuff that’s going on around the world.”

The club is still in the beginning stages, so the advisors are planning to start small and work their way up.

“This year, our goal is to attend a conference and see what it’s like, just to kind of get a sense of Model UN, that way we can come in more prepared next year,” Tallo said. “We just want to become more experienced and knowledgeable, so that next year things run more smoothly.”

The club still has a lot to learn before it’s time for their first conference, especially in terms of the special etiquette that needs to be used.

“There’s a style of debate that you have to learn,” advisor Mrs. Wakelin said. “There are certain words and phrases that you use; even if you want to go to the bathroom, you have to ask in a certain way.”

As of now, with a few meetings under their belt, Model UN is looking for new members to join and spread the word to their friends.

“I think, as we go on, and if students like doing it, they’ll talk to their friends,” Wakelin said. “I’m not worried about every single member of Model UN graduating. I’m hoping it will just perpetuate.”

Current club member Junior Ethan Byerly heard about the club from one of his friends and decided to check it out.

“I like to keep up with current events in the world and see things from other people’s point of view,” Byerly said. “It’s just something I’m interested in. I like the idea of preparing and researching all you can about a country and preparing a stance about certain topics.”

The club meets every other Friday after school and welcomes anybody interested to come. Students are encouraged to step out of their comfort zones to give this club a chance.

“Don’t think of it like an extra class. It’s meant to be fun and entertaining,” Tallo said. “We’re living in a global society now, so there are things that impact all of us, and I think people should come and have fun and be open to what’s going on.”