House 4 welcomes new secretary

New+House+4+secretary+Mrs.+Brown+says+she+is+excited+about+her+new+position+at+LHS.+
Photo by Marissa McKay
New House 4 secretary Mrs. Brown says she is excited about her new position at LHS.

From signing dismissal notes to helping with attendance, Mrs. Brown has a lot on her plate in her new position as House 4 Secretary.

Before she got this new job, Brown was a secretary for a company, a stay at home mom for her two sons, both of whom also worked for The Lancer Spirit in high school, and then came to work in the school district.

“I got into the school system because of my boys, Matt and Eric,” Brown said. “I wanted to have a schedule so I could be home with them on snow days and school vacations. I started at the elementary school and then worked my way up to here. At first, it was because it was a good schedule for them, and then I just fell in love with working in the school, so I decided to stay here and continue working.”

Brown’s first day on Nov. 15 as secretary was a big change from the four years she spent working in a special education room at LHS. She had to become comfortable with a lot of new things, like the attendance system, which is a main part of her job.

“[The first day] was a little bit crazy, but everyone was really helpful, so I felt very comfortable transitioning and coming down into this position,” Brown said.

Though the past couple of weeks have been hectic, she enjoys her responsibilities and the environment.

“I love it,” Brown said. “It’s very fun. The students are great and everybody here in House 4 has been really helpful, making me feel comfortable and answering any questions. I just love being in an office, where I can keep everything in order and be organized. That’s kind of my thing, I love to do that, so I’m very happy here.”

Brown has had several different jobs throughout her career, but now she wants to stay in this position permanently.

“I’m going to be here for as long as they’ll have me,” Brown said. “I have no intention of going anywhere anytime soon.”

For now, she is working hard on trying to get to know all of the many students that she sees and helps in House 4.

“I’m still getting to know names and faces, and I’m trying to put everything together,” Brown said. “That’s one of my biggest goals, because it would help a lot. I want to know the students when they walk in and address them, or if they hand me a note I can at least say ‘thank you so-and-so’.”

Brown also intends to improve the flow of the house and make it as enjoyable as possible.

“Overall, I just want to help this house function as a fun environment and a great place to work,” Brown said.