Lancer boys’ basketball upsets Winnacunnet

All photos by Amie Blazonis
Fans stand up for a whiteout game to support the boys’ basketball team in their quarterfinal matchup.
The boys’ basketball team celebrates their win against the Warriors.

The Lancer boys’ hoops team went 15-4 this regular season, taking the number four spot in Division I. They beat Nashua North in an impressive preliminary playoff game and took on the Winnacunnet Warriors tonight at home for an even more incredible 42-40 quarterfinal win.

Senior Ethan May plays strong defense on Winnacunnet to propel the Lancers to their win.

This game was a defensive battle, tied 40-40, clock stopped with 39 seconds left in the fourth quarter and with a Winnacunnet possession.

After great defensive play by the entire team, a quick turnover and many Londonderry shots at the net, sophomore Jackson Cox put the ball in the basket for two points putting the Lancers up with seconds left for the win.

Sophomore Jackson Cox takes possession of the ball on a rebound.

Senior James Buttafuoco says the game was a strong team win and fans coming out in a whiteout for

Londonderry Hoops was a huge contributor to the boys’ energy in this game.

“Tonight was a game for Lancer Nation,” Buttafuoco said. “We played as one family, and we had the greatest fan section on our backs.”

The Lancers will face their biggest challenge yet on Wed. March 13 at 7:30 p.m. at UNH, playing the undefeated Exeter team in the semifinals.