Spring Preview: Boys’ Volleyball

Photo courtesy of James Buttafuoco
The boys line up on the back line before a match last season.

Over the past few years, boys’ volleyball has grown at LHS. Students have been drawn to the game for many reasons. This year their coach, Jon Buatti, held their tryouts the week after the other spring sports held their tryouts to allow athletes that didn’t make a team to be able to play volleyball. He hopes that doing this will lead to a growth in the program.

Senior captains and volleyball veterans James Buttafuoco and Patrick Cohen hope to follow up a successful 2018 season and make a splash in the NHIAA volleyball world.

“I expect to shock the state,” Buttafuoco said. “We are being slept on this year, and I think every new player will be able to step up.”

Cohen shares the same sentiment as his long-time teammate.

“I hope to surprise everyone and make the playoffs this year,” Cohen said. “Every game no matter the opponent is a winnable game for us.”

Both athletes began playing their sophomore year and have developed into starting players, but the program has gotten many new players that have minimal volleyball experience. Regardless of their prior experience, Buttafuoco is confident in these new player’s ability to play a key role on this season’s squad.

Photo courtesy of James Buttafuoco
The Lancers set up to return the ball over the net in a match last year against Bishop Guertin.

“We have all of our starters returning, so we are confident they will be able to compete,” Buttafuoco said. “I think everyone new will be able to step up, as it wasn’t too hard of a transition for those of us who switched over years ago.”

The boys enjoy going to practice everyday even though the workout can be a grind. They keep their energy up and aim to get better everyday.

“We have lots of of fun during practice, but also work very hard,” Buttafuoco said. “I hope to see the program continue to grow in the future so more LHS students can enjoy an underrated sport.”

Cohen has his eyes firmly glued on bringing a championship home in his final season.

“Practices are always fun and energetic, so we enjoy coming to practice everyday and getting better,” Cohen said. “I hope to see a banner in the gym soon.”

Their first game is April 12, and Buttafuoco hopes to see “fans other than my mom, Crutcher’s mom, and Cohen’s mom.” So get out and support the boys volleyball team this season to these handsome men hit some balls!