Spring Preview: Baseball

Photo by Mark Cavanaugh
Manor extends forward as he hurls the ball towards home in their Connecticut tournament.

Lancer baseball will take their home field for the first time this season this afternoon. Following a 2018 season that didn’t quite fulfill its expectations, hopes are high heading into this season.

While this year’s roster has multiple athletes that have some varsity experience, it only carries two returning starters in senior Reece Manor and sophomore Brandon Fish. Head coach Brent Demas chose Manor and corner outfielder Nick Cote to be captains this off-season with the hope that they will be vocal leaders, unafraid of taking initiative.

“As a senior and a captain, I have to set a good example and make sure everyone is doing their part,” Cote said. “I have to make sure everyone has a good attitude and is giving 100% effort all the time because we have a special group of kids this year.”

Last season, Cote was bedeviled by a shoulder injury that caused him to miss the duration of the 2018 season. While he was supposed to have an integral role as a lethal base stealer for the team last season, Cote plans to make his presence felt on the base path this year.

Photo by Mark Cavanaugh
Senior Nick Cote watches the pitcher as he takes his warm up cuts in the on-deck circle before his at-bat in Connecticut.

“A personal goal of mine is to break the stolen base record this year,” Cote said. “I hope that the team will get past the first round of the playoffs, since we have been eliminated in the first round for the past few seasons.”

As a returning varsity captain, Manor will be tasked with the responsibility to be a mentor off the field for the underclassmen while taking care of his business on the field. On the field, Manor is a workhorse on the mound, a dependable commodity on the left side of the infield, and a polished hitter at the plate.

“A team goal of mine is to work together and put our all out on the field every time we step on it,” Manor said. “Baseball doesn’t necessarily depend on what team is ranked better, it depends on who plays better baseball that day.”

Even though there hasn’t been a step taken on the diamond, the two captains already boast a mid-season confidence that they hope will rub off in the rest of the team. With this being their final season playing ball for LHS, they will be sure to give it their all in hopes that they reach their desires of bringing home a title.

“My approach it to work as hard as I can and put it all out there for my last year while making memories that I will never forget,” Manor said.

No matter how this season ends, Manor will cherish his experience of getting to wear the white and blue for the past four years.

“One of my biggest dreams growing up was being able to play baseball in college,” Manor said. “LHS, as well as coach Demas, has helped me achieve the many goals that I have had. [Demas] has helped me to get in touch with Saint Anselm College and helped me through the whole process. Without coach Demas, I would not be the player that I am today.”

Photo by Mark Cavanaugh
Manor swats a linear while batting in the Connecticut tournament two weeks ago.

As for Cote, the past few years have been a roller-coaster ride filled with setbacks and breakthroughs. His injury-riddled high school career has gave him a realistic perspective of what he will have to prove to have a future in the sport.

“My goals after high school is to be one of the top baseball players at my future school and get a good degree so I’m set up for after college,” Cote said. “I have taken what I’ve learned on and off the field and applied it to my everyday life. LHS has shown me that you have to work hard for what you want and setbacks are just a part of life.”