Capital team rises, spears Lancers in field hockey quarterfinals

Lancer field hockey looks for redemption in quarterfinals (10/25)
The girls embrace after scoring the game-winning goal against Concord. The two teams meet today in a playoff rematch.
Photo used with permission from Dina Miles

The Lancer field hockey team got eliminated in the quarterfinals for the second year in a row despite a promising season. The final score was 2-0 in favor of the Concord Crimson Tide.

Lancer field hockey looks for redemption in quarterfinals

Originally published on Oct.25, 2019

With the blow of the whistle and the start of the face off, the varsity field hockey team is getting ready for their home playoff game against the Crimson Tide of Concord.

Junior Izzy Augusta said they feel “really good” going into the playoffs.

“[We feel] really solid. We are coming for the ‘ship,” Augusta said.

Although the team has had some bumps in the road, they’ve been able to come together.

“There have definitely been some struggles that we have overcome, but I don’t think there is a team that hasn’t had to overcome any struggles,” senior Grace Chicko said. “Whenever it comes game time we put those struggles behind us and just focus on the game that is in front of us.”

Photo by Dina Miles
The girls defend a corner shot from Dover’s offense.

One of the games they had to put behind them is the loss to Pinkerton during Mack Plaque, which according to Chicko wasn’t their “best game.” The girls hope to get another chance to play them in the playoffs.

“Though they are a good team,” Chicko said, “we believe we have a chance of beating them.”

Photo by Dina Miles
Senior Courtney Shay fights with a concord player for ball control.

For now, the team is focusing on one team and one team only, which is Concord, who they play on Friday.

“We are definitely thinking about going all the way, but all we have to focus on is the game that is coming up,” Chicko said. “We take it game by game and don’t worry about the other teams we would have to face later on.”

Chicko said their team is going into Friday’s game confident but not cocky, and thinks the Lancers have a great chance of winning.

Photo by Dina Miles
Senior Grace Chicko drives the ball into the offensive zone.

“[Concord] only had one less loss than us, and it only takes one goal for them to win or for us to win,” Chicko said.

Despite their three losses, the girls still had an exceptional season, even earning a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

“We are going into playoffs 11-3 which is something we are extremely proud of,” Chicko said.