Applying to NHS? Check out this helpful information.

Elizabeth Juster

The National Honor Society (NHS) candidate membership invitations have been sent out to students who are academically eligible. If you’re a sophomore or junior and have a 3.50 GPA(SOPH) or a 3.75 GPA (JR), look in your Google Classroom to see if you got an invitation. 

To the many sophomores and juniors of LHS who have become candidates to be a member of the National Honor Society, this scholarly honor has been given for your hard work in the classroom. Many of you are excited for this open door that can help you build a strong resumé for your dream college.

But, just as quickly as this door opened it will close. By March 11 you should have already accepted this invitation over a quick google classroom RSVP.

By March 20 you will have to submit a few forms, also on Google Classroom, to become eligible for further consideration.

Although these due dates are coming fast and maybe a little overwhelming, here is a quick overview of everything to make things a little more simple and so you don’t miss a thing.  

You’ve answered the RSVP, now what?

Now you are clear to start working on the rest of the forms required to be considered for membership. 

To apply to NHS, you have three tasks to complete:

1. The Essay

• The essay is a place for you to talk about your service to LHS and to the community. This should tell the NHS truly who you are in this community and how you have added to leadership and volunteerism with LHS community.
  • Two-page maximum.
  • Click here to view a video created by Mrs. Juster to help candidates with their essay by giving them a little explanation of what to include.

2. The Record

• This is a record of your activities and accomplishments in and out of LHS. Compiling what you’ve done can also help you as you write your essay. 

3. The Signatures

• This is a form for you to gather signatures of supervising adults who were there for the activities and accomplishments you listed in your record. 

Deadlines:

• All of these documents are due Friday, March 20 by 11:59 P.M.
  • The signatures form needs to be in a hard copy form and handed in to Mrs. Juster on or before Friday, March 20th*  

Drop-in Days:

• There are two “drop-in” workshops to ask questions about the NHS and how to complete the record and essay on Wednesday, March 11 and Thursday, March 19 from 2:30 till 3:30
  • Mrs. Juster said these workshop days are NOT mandatory, but she welcomes any students to drop by if they have questions about NHS or about the application process. “Stay for as long as you want, or don’t come at all,” NHS adviser Mrs. Juster said.