Mr. Wood’s photography class changes how you look at photos

Photo taken by Quinten Miller
To show the use of photography in the real world, this photo uses leading lines from the road and the fence to be able to focus on the two subjects that are supposed to be the focus, the red stop sign and the house.

Photography is something people know, but not all take the time to experience. You may be wondering what courses you should take if you were interested in Photography for professional use, or for a hobby.

At LHS, a photography class exists for people to enjoy and see what an experience photographers have when taking photos and to be interested in the field of photography, or at the very least see what they could acquire for knowledge around cameras. 

“I would recommend the class to anyone with a passion for retro style photography. It gives the students a really good idea of what photography used to be like in a time where we weren’t a part of it,” senior Jillian Morani said she has taken Photography class and is now taking Advance Photography.

Mr. Wood is the teacher for Photography and Advance Photography within LHS,which can be found in room 305.

Photography is a semester course, with Advance Photography being the next course available. In the class, students learn the history of cameras, learn different techniques about how to capture photos, and take photos with film cameras.

“The interesting side of the story is I was hired by the school district to be their printing instructor. They never mention photography during the interviews, so when I accepted the job they said, ‘By the way, you will also be teaching photography.’[To which] I said, ‘By the way, there are no photography classes on my resume.’ I had worked in darkrooms, but had to learn in a hurry about everything else associated with photography,” Mr.Wood said.

Some people might be wondering what photography would be useful for in a job., A lot of jobs in the world use photography every day.

“…Obviously photojournalism, forensics, medical, architecture, portraits, sports journalism, advertising. Basically almost any business requires a photographer at some point if you think about it,” Wood said.

A specific description of the class can be found on the course catalog shown here.

Photo taken by Quinten Miller
Another example of a rule of photography is to make sure your subjects are in clear focus and what they are supposed to be. In this case, it is the male duck(bottom) and the female duck(top). There is also no distracting background, which is able to make sure the viewer is looking at the ducks and that the eye won’t wander around the photo.

Photography is also able to get people to see the world through another lens, and to have people see if this would happen to be a good career path to go into for their job. 

I think I learned a lot more about different forms of photography. There are so many different parts to it that I never thought of. There are different techniques and styles that I’m glad I got an insight into.” Morani said. 

Seeing the world through another perspective can be helpful for people who after learning the logistics and background of the skill will want to invest a career into photography. It can be interesting to get people thinking about if they wish they could take photographs professionally, and what people can be able to learn from taking his Photography class. 

“The knowledge they have gained and an appreciation for what goes into taking a good photograph,” Wood said in response to what he hopes students will gain from this class.

The class is meant for people looking to broaden their horizons and to get the chance to do something that a lot of people don’t take a real chance to think about.

I do feel like the class prepares you for a job in the photography field. There is a lot that we are learning in the class and it’s constantly moving,” Morani said.

The ability to take a great photo can be useful both in professional photography, and when taking photos for fun. This class will be able to give people that opportunity to see what it’s like holding the camera, instead of looking at the flash.