Principal Parent updates LHS on senior events

Photo by Alp Okyar

Principal Mr. Parent sent an email out to Lancer Nation at 12:05 pm on Friday, June 5, updating the LHS community about upcoming events for the senior class.

Parent updates students on cancelled events:

The email said that at this time, indoor events may not take place due to social distance guidelines. This means that LHS is unable to host the Varsity Banquet, Mr. LHS, and Senior Supper. 

In addition to the cancellation of these major events, the email Parent sent said that a representative from Thomson Island notified LHS that the island will be closed for the month of July, meaning the senior class trip will also be cancelled. Students will be hearing more about refunds on trip tickets soon. 

LHS is prioritizing prom, graduation, and baccalaureate: 

Despite these other events not taking place, the school district is still prioritizing prom, graduation, and  baccalaureate, but there are complications with these venues. 

Directors from the Capitol Center for the Arts and SNHU Arena notified the school that they are unable to host LHS’s  baccalaureate and graduation, but the school is working on outdoor alternatives. 

Both events are still scheduled for July 29 at either the Airport or Fisher Cat Stadium with a rain date of July 30.

In an interview, Parent said that graduation and  baccalaureate will “definitely happen” and that prom depends on a response they are waiting to receive from the Castleton saying that they can host LHS at their venue responsibly. As of today, however, the prom is still scheduled for July 31. 

The school district is working on alternatives to social events: 

In the event that prom is cancelled, the school district is working on an alternative social event in its place. 

The school is also planning an alternative senior event for senior week, and they are coordinating a time to pick up cap & gowns, stoles, awards, and scholarships on July 8.

LHS has been doing all they can to honor the class of 2020, but in a recent interview with Parent, he said trying to schedule celebrations under these circumstances has not been easy.

“The frustration of developing multiple contingency plans is compounded by the fact that information changes so quickly, and some of the guidelines and restrictions are in conflict with one another, making it difficult, especially for large events,” Parent said. 

The school district will continue to inform Lancer Nation as new updates develop, and they are grateful for everybody’s cooperation. 

“I’d like to thank our senior class for being so patient and mature about all of this,” Parent said. “They’ve been incredibly resilient and are always willing to adapt to whatever comes their way.  I admire them greatly because of that.”