‘The Confidence Effect’: Why everyone should read it

Photo via Amazon
“The Confidence Effect” by Grace Killelea was published on December 18, 2015 with the purpose of helping women succeed in the workplace.

I’ve always hated reading. Why sit down with a book when there are so many other things to do? I couldn’t even fathom the idea of me enjoying a book. 

That was until I read “The Confidence Effect” by Grace Killelea.

I know this may sound weird, that I never liked reading and the book that made me love it was non-fiction, but it’s true.

This book was recommended to me by so many people at a time where I felt like I had to always decline compliments, and always give but never ask for anything in return. And I think that’s why I loved it so much.

Though it is focuses on business related confidence for those who want to have a position like a CEO, there’s a lot of life lessons that can be used daily that are taken from this book. In fact, I think anyone can find something from the book to start implementing into their life, even if it’s as simple as being proud of everything you do and to start accepting compliments.

“The Confidence Effect” is written in a way that isn’t preachy like a lot of self-help books are. The author provides tactics with example scenarios to show the reader what they’re currently doing isn’t as beneficial as her way without blatantly saying that. 

Killelea also divides her book into sections discussing the most important points to help you feel more confident in the way you present yourself and your work. This makes it easy to skip around to the areas you think you need the most work on.

Not only is the way Killelea writes her book more appealing to those wanting to learn, but her writing style is also easy for everyone to follow and digest.

Throughout the book Killelea uses anecdotes or metaphors to help the reader relate more to her advice. An example of this is one of my favorite lines in the book: “Being competent without being confident is like working alone in the dark,” Killelea said. “You may be able to get your work done, but who would know about it?

However, Killelea doesn’t only use her advice. I think one of the most unique parts of Killelea’s book is that she incorporates stories told from real women that have worked their way up to a leadership position in their job. These stories really help to emphasize Killelea’s point and give a different perspective on what she’s saying.

With Killelea’s words along with the stories from real women, this book covers all areas to help you be more confident in a positive way.

And, I have to add that in no means is this book just for shy people. It covers everything from being proud of yourself and showcasing your talents to not being overly boisterous and cocky.

Full disclaimer, however, when reading this book, there’s nothing crazy or innovative about it. The book, itself, could very well be everything you already know, which is what happened to me. However, reading this book was like a wake-up call since so many of its perspectives and people tell you that they are only where they are today because they know their worth and fight for it.

So, even though I’m not saying this book is a must-read to be a better person, I am saying that I think everyone could find something helpful in it. I know it might be strange to pick-up a self-help book, I know it was for me, but after you realize that this book isn’t to “fix” you like some other books are, you’ll actually start to enjoy it.

This book is all about knowing what you could improve on and understanding that if you aren’t doing everything perfectly right now, it shouldn’t take away from how you view yourself. 

Because, after all, confidence isn’t about being or thinking you’re perfect, it’s about fighting for yourself and realizing your value.