My thoughts on the COVID-19 vaccine

Infographic by Laura Haas
The COVID-19 vaccine is everywhere. Will you fight for herd immunity, or sit back to see what happens?

Watching the news only freaks me out more. The COVID-19 vaccine is all that is talked about, and at this point it’s becoming exhausting trying to distinguish between the truth and lies. 

I am so torn on whether to get the vaccine or not, and here’s why. 

Pros: 

Getting to be with my family. I haven’t been able to hug my grandparents or really be near them in a year. I don’t want to get them sick or put that at risk, no matter how much I want to be with them. Getting the vaccine would let me be around them comfortably, without having to worry that I am spreading a virus to them. 

If there’s one thing I really hate about this pandemic, it’s quarantining. I had to miss the last two games of my volleyball season this past fall, and at this point I’m done with staying home and being bored. If I got the vaccine, I wouldn’t be sent home for two weeks with the possibility that I was less than six feet away from someone with COVID-19. 

I just want to be done with this virus. The vaccine can make this go away, but only if enough people get it. Will I be one of those people? I still don’t know. 

Cons: 

17 years old seems pretty young to me. Do I really need a vaccine, or am I young enough to be able to fight off a virus?

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really done my research. I feel like this vaccine was made somewhat quickly, and I don’t know if there was enough testing done for it to be safe. I don’t want to die in 20 years. 

After talking to so many different people with different opinions, I still feel stuck. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think so many people are in this boat, not knowing what to do.

However, I think one big idea may sway me to one side. In my mind, I think I will regret not getting the vaccine more than the regret of getting it. I can picture myself now being quarantined and unable to go to a tournament, wishing I got the vaccine when I had the chance. 

So if you’re like me, confused on what to do and don’t know where to look, think about what you will regret more.

The more I think the harder it gets, and at this point I have to make a decision. 

I will get the vaccine.  

In the end, we are all going to die, so why not? 

But in all seriousness, this is a decision that I have come to after days of thinking, so don’t sweat it if you are having trouble. 

If you feel the same way as I do, leave a comment below to show we are not alone in this tough decision.