Alan Labranche flips to a new chapter of life

Special Education teacher Alan Labranche prepares to leave behind his classroom and school of 17 years to create new memories.

After 17 years of helping kids through long, stress-filled school days onto the road of success, Mr. Alan Labranche decided to move forward with his life and try new things he hasn’t been able to experience.

“I just think it’s finally time for a change,” Labranche said. “I want to have more time to do the things I love and move onto the next chapter of my life and find new experiences.”

Labranche has had many ideas set to complete after his career including opening up a business with his family, writing his book and spending more time practicing spirituality. 

“My wife and I are very spiritual people,” Labranche said. “I believe the knowledge about crystals and spiritual practices helps open your mind a lot. That’s why I plan on keeping myself busy and doing what I love. If I still have a purpose in my old age I believe that will help me live longer.”

Labranche’s goal is to live until 100, and in the meantime he still has big plans to keep him busy instead of staying at home. 

“I’ve started writing my own book about my life, career and how to help kids who struggle,” Labranche said. “I’m about a few pages in but I want more time to continue so I can finish it.” 

Not only does Labranche have these plans to help more people through his book, but he also plans on working with his family and doing what he loves.

“I plan on opening a crystal business with my family,” Labranche said. “We’re all very excited about it, we get to include our passion for spirituality through another career and this won’t even be my first time in business.” 

Before teaching at LHS, Labranche was a businessman and served in the military for 20 years. After 9/11 he lost his business and had to then move on, which is when his wife found a job at LHS. 

“My wife actually was the one who found the job here and told me,” Labranche said. “My kids had graduated from here and ended up very successful and I knew I wanted to help others be just as successful so I decided to go for it.”

Labranche’s main goal at the school was to help other people find purpose and success in their lives, as he has dealt with people who struggle with mental illness before. 

“My first wife struggled with mental illness and I was a single dad at the time raising my kids,” Labranche said. “This is another big reason why I wanted to help others and make a difference.” 

Through the many years working with students at LHS, Labranche has made many long-lasting relationships and bonds with staff and students. 

“One thing I want all my kids to remember is that I truly cared and I know each and every one of them will be successful and have the capability to.” Labranche said. “With or without a disability, I know they all will be successful.”