Good choices will keep masks optional

“Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty” -James Madison
Whether+masked+or+not%2C+we+must+all+still+be+responsible+and+try+to+protect+others+health.+
Kaylie Donahue
Whether masked or not, we must all still be responsible and try to protect other’s health.

Editorials are the collective opinion of the Lancer Spirit Editorial Board.

With the masks off, it finally feels like we’re back to normal at LHS for the first time since March of 2020. Seeing faces we haven’t in a while and meeting new ones has been a highlight of the school year so far. 

We can finally focus on what we’re doing in class without constantly worrying about having to get up and leave the classroom at any moment to blow our noses or to get a break from the stuffiness of the mask. We don’t have to stress about how to “un-awkwardly” sneak out of the room for some water.

We realize these measures have been (and could still be) necessary, but we are currently elated to see one another again and are grateful for the decision which allows students the choice to mask up or not.

However, it goes without saying that with the freedom of choice comes responsibility and consequences.

It is still our responsibility to keep ourselves and others safe despite the lack of masking in classrooms

It’s our job to continue to adhere to standard safety protocols such as maintaining a healthy distance from others and washing hands regularly. This shouldn’t just apply to in-school interaction, but should apply to areas outside of the classroom as well, especially for the unvaccinated students and faculty who choose to not wear a mask.

While it is true that there is a risk to having people walk around unvaccinated and unmasked, we understand that some of the student body may not be able to get the vaccine due to medical reasons and or because of familial decisions. It’s still important, however, for these individuals to be responsible and take preventative measures when possible. 

Much like last school year, we all still must be vigilant. If you come to school feeling under the weather, please do wear a mask. Mask wearing isn’t just to contain the spread of COVID-19, but to  stop the spread of all airborne illnesses like the flu as well. It is imperative that we remain responsible and mask up for others if we pose a threat to the health of those around us. 

Remember, if we want to continue having the choice on whether we wear a mask or not, we must take the actions necessary to  keep this privilege. 

In short, be safe and be responsible while enjoying the newfound freedom of seeing one another’s full faces every day after a full year of not being able to do so.