Senior Matt Misiaszek turns injury into perseverance

Captain, Senior Matt Misiaszek, handles the ball in a soccer game of his junior year at Londonderry High School. Misiazek and his teammates were able to pull out a win due to his impeccable skills on defense. He protected the net throughout the whole game and played his heart out.
(Photo by Kim Smith)

When senior Matt Misiaszek  heard the doctor say he had torn his ACL during his second pre-season game, he was “pretty devastated.” 

“But at that moment I knew I needed to work harder to get back,” Misiaszek said. 

As a key defensive player and three-year starter on the varsity boys soccer team, he knew he would do anything he could to get back on the field.

Senior Matt Misiaszek is recognized by his teammates on his senior night on the boys varsity soccer team. Regardless of Misiaszek injury and his inability to play, the team wanted him to be celebrated and acknowledged for all of his achievements.
(Photo by Stacy Street)

Teammates like seniors Patrick Tewksbury and John Baumann, who had been playing with Misiaszek for the past ten years said they “suffered greatly” without him on the team during the fall season. 

“He was always the backbone of the team and everyone could rely on him no matter what,” Tewksbury said. “He is also a positive person in any situation and he was well missed this year from the entire team.”

Misiaszek’s teammates made sure to include him in the team despite his injury. According to Baumann, the team wanted to make sure he felt welcomed and loved by allowing him to be in their huddle before every game. He said Misiaszke’s pep talks to the newer and returning players motivated the whole team to play their hearts out each and every game.

Baumann was worried after learning of Misiaszek’s ACL tear because the two had been excited to play their senior year of soccer together

“We had hopes of a state championship in our final ride together and had been training over the summer almost everyday before the season had started,” Baumann said. “Unfortunately, things didn’t work out the way we had wanted them to. However, this gave me the motivation to play even harder because I knew Matt would want me to.” 

Before undergoing ACL surgery three weeks after his tear, Misiaszek was nervous about the procedure, but felt relieved that he knew others who went through the same process. Misiaszek gained support from his friends, family, and teammates throughout the duration of his injury.  

“Sitting on the sideline during the season was definitely tough because I wanted to be out there, but I loved watching the team succeed and they were fun to watch,” Misiaszek said. 

Misiaszek hasn’t let injury prevent him from pursuing his dream of playing soccer at the collegiate level though as he has recently committed to playing soccer at Endicott College. 

Senior Matt Misiaszek shows up to watch and support the girls varsity field hockey team at Londonderry High School on their senior night. Even after a day of getting ACL surgery, Misiaszek shows his support to other sporting teams with close friends. ( Photo by Nora Colliton)

Although he is optimistic about his knee being completely healed and ready for the soccer field by the time he goes to college, he is dedicated to giving it the proper rest that it needs if he’s not ready. 

“I definitely see the finish line and I hope to get there sooner rather than later but I’ll work hard to get there,” Misiaszek said. 

Misiaszek has tried to keep a good attitude, but at first his injury did impact his ability to perform everyday tasks. He originally struggled to walk and move around, but he has now regained most of his mobility and four weeks out from his surgery he was able to walk.

“Having a positive outlook on everything and just being involved,” has given Misiaszek hope for the rest of the year. “I think I’ve passed the worst part of the injury so I’m just excited for the rest of the year.”

As President of the Class of 2022, Misiaszek will have the chance to stay involved throughout his senior year. To keep up his spirits throughout his recovery, he has been planning many events planned for the future for both the senior class and for himself. 

He plans on going to Italy in the spring for the school trip with friends and he also looks forward to prom and graduation. 

“Thinking about all of the fun activities we are currently planning for the end of the year has certainly kept me going and I can’t wait to see how prom and graduation turn out,” Misiaszek said. 

Misiaszek celebrates at LHS football game with friends (Photo by Christine O’Loughlin)

Misiaszek’s injury has given him a new outlook on life. 

“I think it showed me that anything can be taken away from you. I had high hopes for senior year and my soccer season was wiped away very easily.” Misiaszek said.“You can’t take advantage of what you have because it can be gone at any second.”

Missing one of the most important parts of his senior year brought his spirits down, but he isn’t ready to give up. 

“I think it will make me strong. I know what it’s like to miss out on a season and I don’t want to do that again. I’ll come back stronger because I know what it’s like to be down and it’s time to get back up,” Misiaszek said.