Change in COVID-19 policies are pending for the Londonderry school district

Posted at 10:24 p.m. on Thursday, January 6, 2022

On Monday December 27, the CDC released updated guidelines with regards to quarantine lengths for the general population. The CDC shortened the recommended quarantine length of ten days to five days for asymptomatic individuals who test positive, or if other symptoms are resolving (no fever for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication). The CDC recommends that those who leave quarantine after five days, wear a mask for another five days when they are around others in order to mitigate spread of infection.  

As of January 3, the Londonderry School District continues to follow the CDC’s previous guideline of a 10-day isolation for those who tested positive for COVID-19.The Londonderry School District also follows guidelines issued by the N.H. Department of Health and Safety, which uses recommendations from the CDC to create their own guidelines for the state. 

In accordance with the CDC’s recommendations for K-12 schools across the country, Londonderry schools have implemented “layered prevention strategies”.

Numerous measures to reduce transmission of COVID-19 including increased ventilation, air purifiers, UV light cleaning, and increased physical distancing when possible were implemented and executed as part of the 2021-2022 Reopening Plan.

The reopening plan was articulated using guidance from the N.H. Department of Health and Safety. 

The Londonderry school district is currently waiting for a statement from the NH Department of Health as to whether or not the current COVID-19 protocols will remain in place or will be updated to match that of the CDC.

According to Director of Pupil Services Kim Carpinone, “several meetings at the state level [are] happening at this time” to best decide how to move forward with the new recommendations posted. 

The Lancer Spirit will continue to update this story as more information develops.