A Letter from the Editor: On senioritis

An open letter to senioritis from the Editor in Chief
Art by Makenna True
A letter to Lancer Nation from Lancer Spirit’s Editor-in-Chief, Makenna True.

I’m almost positive that I am being plagued by a disease. If I went to the doctor and told them all my symptoms, I’d return to school with a doctor’s note that would promptly excuse me from the rest of the school year. My treatment plan would consist of arriving at the high school at 10 a.m. with a coffee from Dunkin or Starbucks, leaving at 1 p.m. to get lunch, and having absolutely no homework at all. It’s official: I have senioritis.

I was told last year that I would succumb to this disease around the second semester. I’ve been accepted into the college of my dreams (go Bantams!), finished my first semester on the high honor roll, and have a fairly easy schedule for the rest of the year. No matter how much I didn’t want to admit it, this disease struck me hard.

I can’t ease up, however, since my acceptance to college is contingent on finishing my senior year with the same grades I’ve been producing for all four years. Sadly, for me, that means report cards with flying colors—and no letting up on the brakes.

I think it’s a good thing though; having this push me to finish strong will make the payoff feel even greater. It’s wonderful too since I love my classes. Yes, it would be nice to come in even later than I already do, but at least I’m coming in for classes that I enjoy.

I’m still dreaming about all of our senior activities. I really cannot wait until the events on my planner turn from pre-calc homework, physics packet, and AP Lang essay to a hypnotist show, prom hair trial appointment, and grad practice. It’ll be bittersweet, but I really can’t wait.

I’m going to need all the help I can to get there, though. Hopefully, I’ll see it through.

Signing Off,
Makenna True

Editor-in-Chief